Bringing Back Records

Discuss the database features

Bringing Back Records

Postby quarkrad » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Sorry for basic question - I've just started to use Base. Having created a db (table) of many recipe entries is it possible to 'bring up' all those recipes that contain, e.g. milk? I have created a form and can search the Table for milk but it only show one recipe - I have keep pressing on Search to scroll through all records/recipes. Is there a way of showing/presenting all the recipes that contain milk? Or does it not work that way?
libreoffice 5.4.1.2 on ubuntu 16.04
quarkrad

Re: Bringing Back Records

Postby UnklDonald418 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Without having a sample of your database it would be difficult to give you specific advice.
A simple query something like
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
SELECT  ID, "RecipeName"  FROM  "MyRecipes" WHERE "MyRecipes" ."Ingredient" = 'milk'

will deliver a list of all the recipes containing milk. That is known as filtering. That query could be used as a data source for a Base form with a table control to display the results.
Then by selecting an item from that table a full list of the ingredients for that recipe could be displayed on a SubForm.
Look here for some examples using filters
Subreports with Basic code and "power filtering"
Filter/Search with Forms (leveraging SubForms)
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Return to Base