Two questions on graphs

Discuss the formula editor

Two questions on graphs

Postby ERR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 pm

I was trying to do a graph in maths I had a look in the help files, all I could find was tips on how to import graphs (from picture format) into the document.

With OpenOffice Can you input some x,y data and get the math program to plot a graph (just a big dot or cross or something were all the X, Y meet) (without the curve, if it could do a average curve though the points that would awesome)

........... otherwise could it print off some graph paper (maybe add in your own x, y scale) so you could enter your own points and draw in your own curve.
ERR

Re: Two questions on graphs

Postby acknak » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:12 am

Sorry, your question sounds interesting, but I can't quite understand what your point/question is. Are you trying to embed a chart inside a Math formula?

If so, I don't see the point. Both Math formulas and OOo Charts are primarily intended to be embedded in other documents (text, spreadsheet, drawing or presentation).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby keme » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:17 am

There is some ambiguity in the application naming. Actually, Math doesn't do math. :o
The Math application is for editing mathemathical (and similarly structured) formulas for nice display.
For performing calculations you should use Calc, the spreadsheet application. That's also the route I'd recommend if you want to import data for graphing.
When you have your numbers in Calc, select the cell range you want to base your graph on, then menu Insert - Chart....
Judging from your request, you would probably want an X-Y type of chart.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby ERR » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:26 pm

For acknak
if you put in x1=1 x2=2 x3=3 y1=1 y2=2 y3=3 etc then it is going plot a row of dots or crosses or whatever in a straight line

I had a funny feeling keme that maths did not do maths as you said.
I found this web site http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/plain/ via google were you can print off graph paper, I was thinking it would be good if OpenOffice could do it and you could label the X-Y axis before you print it off, so if OpenOffice can not plot the graph, you can print the rest off so you just add in the dots or crosses yourself............. I feel horiable asking for something that is free, I must go now.
ERR

Postby jrkrideau » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:34 pm

ERR wrote:I was trying to do a graph in maths I had a look in the help files, all I could find was tips on how to import graphs (from picture format) into the document.

With OpenOffice Can you input some x,y data and get the math program to plot a graph (just a big dot or cross or something were all the X, Y meet) (without the curve, if it could do a average curve though the points that would awesome)

........... otherwise could it print off some graph paper (maybe add in your own x, y scale) so you could enter your own points and draw in your own curve.

I am not sure I exactly understand what you want but at a guess you may want to look at something like
Graph /b] http://www.padowan.dk/graph/
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby JimP » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:33 am

Do what Keme said, and use Calc. Put your X axis in column A and your Y axis in column B. Enter the data, select them, and choose Insert->chart. Select the X-Y chart. You can set axis titles, chart title, and choose whether to have a legend or not. You can then run a regression line through all the dots if it suits you.

Then you can use Math to create the formula in a Writer doc, select the chart, copy and paste into writer, and drag the formula over the line.

Like this:
JimP

Return to Math