[Issue] Change all Greek letters at the same time

Discuss the formula editor

[Issue] Change all Greek letters at the same time

Postby hofmartin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi there,

i am new to the Math editor of OO, and so far I am pretty excited. I am currently writing my bachelor thesis in renewable energy systems and therefore I will have to write a lot of formula containing greek symbols. In my writer document I am using the Gentium font, which in my opinion looks quite neat, is easy and comfortable to read and provides a vast amount of characters (since it really does not lack any character of any language it is called "font for the nations". And it is free.)

It is because of that I want to change my greek symbols and math symbols from Times New Roman to Gentium. So far, I have only found that I can change them one by one, which gets a bit boring after the fifth one ,-)

Is there a posibility to change them all, as to say: For all greek letters, please use the Gentium font, basic greek section? As this works for the latin variables, probably there's a work-around provided for their greek brothers...

With loads of thanks beforehand,
Martin
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as issue.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu 8.04
hofmartin

Re: Change all greek letters at the same time

Postby acknak » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:51 am

I want to change my greek symbols and math symbols from Times New Roman to Gentium. So far, I have only found that I can change them one by one, ...

How are you changing them "one by one"?

As far as I know, using the "%alpha" codes for symbols, or special symbols like the sigma in "sum from 1 to n" are treated specially by OOo Math and there's no way to change the font that's used.

You can change the font used for four categories of items in a formula: text, variable names, function names and numbers. Note that "symbols" is not one of the categories; I'm pretty sure OOo always uses the OpenSymbol font for those formula elements.

Maybe it would help if you provided a specific example of a formula, or even a sample document with text and a formula, and explain exactly what part you want to change and how you want to change it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am

acknak wrote:How are you changing them "one by one"?

Through the Catalog I guess.

I looked at the Issue Tracker and there are quite few issues. See the first one. That seems to be bad news but perhaps someone could have ideas about that:
- Issue 50108 - Chosen font doesn't apply to Catalog symbols (closed as WONTFIX)
- Issue 50106 - Can't change symbols font
- Issue 51190 - Enabling to change all symbols font at once
- Issue 80326 - Easy font change of Symbols

mru in Issue 50108 wrote:The symbols have their own fonts (including the typeface), which is assigned in the symbol catalog.
Because all the fonts are not equal (do not contain the same characters/symbols) a different way won't work. If you create a symbol via catalog from the OpenSymbol font, which is not available e.g. in "Times new Roman" it would be displayed wrongly if you try to apply "Times New Roman" to this symbol in the command window.

This is also the reason, why these symbols have to be inserted via the syntax e.g. "%APLPHA"
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby hofmartin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:08 am

Hola,

thanks acknak, thanks Hagar. Hmmm.. as it seems there is no posibility provided at the moment, eh? bad luck... but at least those issues ensured me of that.
Ok then, I'll spend an hour to change them one by one via the catalogue once.

And I will surely vote for Issue 51190, which describes exactly the problem I encountered.

Thanks for your help anyway, guys

Martin
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu 8.04
hofmartin

Re: [Issue] Change all Greek letters at the same time

Postby RGB » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:24 pm

There is a work-around, not very elegant, perhaps, but a working one.
Suppose you set gentium as your font for variables, function, etc on Math, and also gentium for the default paragraph font on Writer. Insert, for example, α on Writer trough the insert symbol dialogue, copy it, open a Math object, paste: the gentium alpha is on your formula.
A way to simplify the whole process is to open a second Writer document with all the Greek characters inserted on it and then copy-paste the Greek symbols between documents (drag and drop should also work, but this will cut the symbol from the original document).
You can also use the inserted symbols as operators by using the "oper" and "boper" commands. Paste this into a Math object to see an example:
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ
newline nitalic oper Σ from  {italic n}=1 to infty "" a_n
newline
sum from n=1 to infty a_n

Of course, to change all symbols is the best choice in the long run.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
RGB

Return to Math