[Solved] Where's the math template?

Discuss the formula editor

[Solved] Where's the math template?

Postby resolvent » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Have my .odt file open, which I had created by opening my MS Word + Mathtype file.
I do all my work in MS Word 2000 and Mathtype 6.2 (2007).
I am switching to Open Office only because MS Word files slow down tremendously as the size of my document grows.

So, all the math objects I had already created in MS Word and Design Science's Mathtype are already there.
But, I need to create new ones.

When I insert a new Formula object, I don't get a drop-down template with formulae. All OO does is insert a blank/empty object inline.

The ironic thing is, this is the 7th time I have downloaded, installed, run, given up on, and deleted OO from my harddrive.
I gave up on OO for other reasons. Now, I can't even get as far as those first 6 times.
The first 6 times, a drop-down template (like in Mathtype) DID come up.
Why is it not doing it for me this 7th time.

I am using Windows XP Home Media Edition (from April 2004)
Open Office 3.4.1
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows XP Home Media Edition (from April 2004)
resolvent

How to make macros in OO?

Postby resolvent » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I forgot to mention: I can continue to open and insert Mathtype 6.2 objects in my OO document.
That's what I had been doing. Problems are: OO does not put them inline.
And many mouse clicks and keystrokes are necessary to create and open one Mathtype Object.
In MS Word, I created a macro that does that for me in one step.
I need to be able to open a macro with a single keyboard command, since my document holds thousands of these objects.
But, I cannot do that in OO.
Open Office 3.4.1
resolvent

Re: Where's the math template?

Postby RGB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Math works on "text mode": you need to type some instructions to get a formula, something like "sum from {n=0} to %infty a_n". There are not templates for Math, sorry.

See the user guide draft for more info: Apache OpenOffice User Guide:Math

Warning: the guide was written by a non native English speaker (me) and needs proofreading ;)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
RGB

Re: Where's the math template?

Postby resolvent » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Thank you for explaining that.

Then this is exactly why I will once again delete OO from my harddrive and use only Microsoft Word and Design Science's Mathtype
to create or edit any math documents.
Open Office 3.4.1
resolvent

Re: [Solved] Where's the math template?

Postby RGB » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 am

If you need to write "real math", mathtype is not a solution either: you need to go for LaTeX. There is a really good program called LyX that makes LaTeX easy.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
RGB

Re: [Solved] Where's the math template?

Postby resolvent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:17 pm

I've published real math many times using only Microsoft Word and Design Science's Mathtype.
Besides my 297-page math doctoral dissertation in 2000, I've published 6 papers in peer-reviewed math journals since then using MS Word 2000 and Mathtype (currently 6.2). And then many many small papers for the math courses I've taught.

For whatever reason, back in the late 1990s, the version of MS Word did not slow down so much.
It was able to handle a 297-page document.

But, now, when I get to 20 pages, it becomes unbearably slow. And sometimes crashes without saving with the "Disk too full" error.
This is the only reason I was exploring other options, like Open Office.

However, those are my only complaints I have about MS Word. Otherwise, the MS Word + Mathtype interface is perfect.
I need it WYSIWYG, because I actually need it to help me do the math, as I need to cut and paste formulae precisely repeatedly, rather than endlessly retyping them, before algebraically manipulating them.

I've looked at examples of Lyx online. I see that it is meant to be closer to WYSIWYG (or, as they say, WYSIWYM - not sure what the practical difference is).
But, I still don't see a full drop-down menus of math symbols like there are in Mathtype.

As with Open Office, since 1990s, I've downloaded, installed, tried, and gave up on TeX and LaTeX at least a DOZEN times.
It creates
Open Office 3.4.1
resolvent

Re: How to make macros in OO?

Postby regina » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 pm

resolvent wrote:I forgot to mention: I can continue to open and insert Mathtype 6.2 objects in my OO document.
That's what I had been doing. Problems are: OO does not put them inline.
And many mouse clicks and keystrokes are necessary to create and open one Mathtype Object.
In MS Word, I created a macro that does that for me in one step.
I need to be able to open a macro with a single keyboard command, since my document holds thousands of these objects.
But, I cannot do that in OO.

Find a macro for Mathtype here: http://www.ooowiki.de/MathTypeObjekteButton. You can assign the macro to a button in the tool bar and use is the same way as the sqrt-button for the OpenOffice formula editor.
regina

Return to Math