Drag and drop Paste issue

Discuss the drawing application

Drag and drop Paste issue

Postby Bigd696969 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:21 pm

OK so I hope this makes sense. I am trying to copy a picture from Google into my draw document. If you can imagine, the page is currently set up looking something akin to a top trumps card, with a space at the top and bars underneath it with writing in. Nothing is selected on the page but when I paste the picture, it appears in one of the bars and cannot be moved. When I then undo (edit>undo drag and drop) this, the writing that was previously there has enlarged a couple of sizes and has to be reduced down again.

If I create a separate sheet and paste into that, and then copy and paste from this, it seems to work fine, but this is terribly long-winded to do something which should be so easy.

I wouldn't mind so much, but when I'm doing the same thing at work, this doesn't happen.

Can someone please help. I'm using Draw on 4.1.2 on Windows 7, unfortunately I don't know what versions I'm using at work
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Bigd696969

Re: Drag and drop Paste issue

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:53 pm

I am trying to copy a picture from Google into my draw document.

Save the pictures onto your harddrive first.
(In this case you can optimize it with a third party image editor, and you can convert it into supported file formats like the .png.)
And then insert these pictures by usage of the menu item: Insert - Picture - From File...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Drag/Drop from a web page is a minefield. There are lots of different things that can happen and you have no control over which path is chosen; it can depend on lots of things. That's one way you can get different behavior on different systems.

As Tibor pointed out, saving the image file first is probably the most robust approach, although it adds a lot of extra work if you do this a lot.

I usually just right-click on the image in the browser, choose "Copy image" and then paste into OO. You can choose Edit > Paste Special ... to get some options: PNG is probably best supported in OO; html you should avoid as that includes non-image content.

Modern web pages may include a LOT of scripts and interactive doodads that can interfere with getting the image alone. Sometimes it helps to right-click on the image and choose "View image" first, to see that you have the right image and nothing else. Then copy/paste in to OO.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Bigd696969 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks for your advice guys. It's not the actual pasting that's the problem, it's the fact that it's filling one of the other boxes rather than into the background where I'd like it to go. I do the same thing at work and all works fine
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Bigd696969

Postby acknak » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:39 pm

Ahh, ok.

That's a known issue. The only workaround I know of is to do it in two steps: first paste into an empty Draw page, then copy/paste from there into the final position. The problem only affects the most recent couple of OO versions; maybe the version at work is older?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Draw