[Solved] How do I remove the background or trim the canvas?

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] How do I remove the background or trim the canvas?

Postby rajhu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:52 am

I've been searching for an answer for this for hours in tutorials and also on this forum. I'm brand new to using Draw and I'm designing a table to be later used as an image on a webpage.

How do I get rid of the white background the image is on or make it only as big as the image? I'll probably save it to GIF and make it a transparent background.

I'm used to other graphics programs where you can simply hit a single button like "Fit Canvas" and the background (they call it a canvas) will be made as small as your image instantly.

Let's say my background or page size was 8.5 x 11 inches but my image size was just 2 x 3 inches? Is there a way to instantly reduce the background and match it perfectly to the image? Or is there another way of handling this?

There must be a simple way to get rid of all of the needless background.

Thank you,

Roger
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice - 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1
rajhu

Re: How do I remove the background or trim the canvas?

Postby acknak » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:02 am

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Select the elements you want to export.
File > Export ...
Select the type of file you want. BE SURE to tick the "selection" option here.
Set the size of the exported image/graphic. Tick the "Save transparency" option here.
Ok

Make sure you save the drawing as ODF (.odg for drawings) so you can edit the drawing later, if necessary.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: How do I remove the background or trim the canvas?

Postby rajhu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 am

Thank you Acknak,

I did find out something similar to your instructions just a little while after I posted. Thank goodness otherwise, I could not do my project properly.

But you gave me a little extra detail.

Thanks again,

Roger
OpenOffice - 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1
rajhu

Re: [Solved] How do I remove the background or trim the canv

Postby tikiviet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:05 am

So you add the logo, the first one, to your web page. But! Hey, what's up with that? There's a white background that didn't show up before. And you're not about to change the pink background.

Eye1

So to get rid of the white background, here's what you do.

1. Create a new Draw document and insert the graphic. (File > New > Drawing, then choose Insert > Picture > From File and find your graphic.
Eye2
2. To see things better, put a colored object behind the graphic, or make the background colored. To change the background, choose Format > Page, Background tab, and instead of None, select Color from the list. Select any color and click OK.
Eye3
3. Choose Tools > Eyedropper.
Eye4

4. Click on the graphic. Then click in the first checkbox on the left.
Eye5a

White is the default source color. However, if there's a different background color, or just to practice, you can then move your mouse over the white part of the graphic and click on it to select the color you want to get rid of.
Eye5b

5. Select Transparent in the corresponding dropdown list on the right. Again, this is the default.
Eye6

6. Click Replace. The white will be replaced by Transparent.
Eye7

7. If you didn't get rid of enough white, increase the tolerance to 20% and try again. Keep going as necessary; sometimes you need to do 50% or more, up to 99%.

8. Select the graphic and choose File > Export. Select the format you want: PNG, JPG, etc. Click Export, and enter any additional options if prompted.
Eye8_2

Now you can insert the new picture wherever you need it.
Eye9

Now, what happens with other pictures, when you try to replace one color with another color? It all depends on the picture. Here's what happens when I replace a light lavendar with a darker lavendar in the cupcake graphic. The following illustration shows before and after. It works better if you have something very structured where there are no gradations of colors.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
tikiviet
Banned

Return to Draw