[Solved] OpenOffice Draw; make a drawing

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] OpenOffice Draw; make a drawing

Postby va3diw » Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Hello,
My target was to draw a grid in metric or imperial dimensions.
Just same stuff what I do with a pencil and the old plastic ruler.

The pointer at the bottom was reading fishy numbers. What units are implemented?
I was confused what dimensions it was reading out.
When I tried to save the picture, the file-save-save as - menu offered me a fishy non-standard formats.
There was more confusion.

I tried to save the picture in TIFF format, because only TIFF is printed in the 1:1 scale.

Here I decided to contact the forum. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
On the other hand, all the advanced software programs were developed with the intention to replace silly manual work targeting efficiency and more exact work. I believe, the Open Office Draw program works in sort of cynical way.
Any idea how to draw and print picture in ten minutes?
Thanks great Gurus.

Dave
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.1 on Windows XP
va3diw

Re: OpenOffice Draw; make a drawing

Postby RoryOF » Thu May 05, 2016 3:08 pm

For all CAD programs one has to read the manual. In fact, for every tool, be it a hand tool or a software tool, one should read the manual.

This will probably tell you more than you need to know
Using OpenOffice Draw Module as a CAD Program

There are a number of existing templates to give Cartesian graph paper
http://templates.openoffice.org/en/search?query=cartesian&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC

Perhaps one of these will be of help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby acknak » Thu May 05, 2016 4:23 pm

I find a couple of things make Draw more predictable.

First, work in mm or cm: Tools > Options > OO Draw > General > Unit of measurement: mm/cm/whatever.

This makes a difference because Draw uses metric units internally and it can lose precision in converting between English units and the internal metric units.

As far as what's shown in the status bar, as far as I know, they're always in the unit set under ... OO Draw > General > Unit of measurement. The ruler can be set to show different units.

Second, as far as possible, use the dialog boxes for setting accurate sizes and positions. Using the mouse, or the screen controls, isn't always accurate. You can turn on "snap to ..." to help with making things adjoin precisely, but even that can be error-prone when there are lots of objects on the screen.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Zizi64 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Dave, your signature is:

The 3.1 is a very old version. I sugest you to upgrade the latest LibreOffice 5.1.2 or Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 version.

When I tried to save the picture, the file-save-save as - menu offered me a fishy non-standard formats.

The AOO and LO uses the International Standard file format: ODF (Open Documet Format), and they can export the edited file or a part of the file content into various formats.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.4; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby va3diw » Fri May 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks for the help and second opinion.
Few folks recommended the LibreOffice.
Problem solved - using a CAD program and printing in TIFF. The unit conversion errors are minimized. Printers use imperial units. I use IrfanView to print the TIFF. Within years I haven't success printing in exact 1:1 scale with programs from Redmond.
Thanks
va3diw

Postby acknak » Fri May 06, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm not sure why you're having problems with printing. I've never had a problem printing stuff from OO as accurately as I can measure with a ruler. If something is 9.3 inches in Draw, it's 9.3 inches on the paper, unless I fiddle with scaling somewhere.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Draw