Scale and Status Bar Size

Discuss the drawing application

Scale and Status Bar Size

Postby alickie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:08 pm

If I draw a line at 1:1 scale the size in the status bar stays correct when I unclick. At other scales the status bar size reduces by various values (say 0.06m), depending on scale when I unclick. Makes it pretty fiddly trying to do accurate drawings. Any ideas?
open office 4:1:2 on windows 7
alickie

Re: Scale and Status Bar Size

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Do your lines have end-symbols (arrow head, for example)? If so, Draw sometimes funbles the size of the object. That's the only situation I can think of where the size can change unexpectedly.

If not, I think we're going to have to see a specific example: create a small sample document and attach it here so we can see what you're working with.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby alickie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Sample drg..odg
(10.31 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Thanks for quick reply, the attached sample should show the problem.
open office 4:1:2 on windows 7
alickie

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Sorry, I don't think I can help. OO insists on showing the status bar and Format > Position & Size ... values in inches.

There is a known problem with OO's conversions: the values are limited to two digits after the decimal point. This can lead to significant rounding error for large scaling factors and/or precise dimensions. You may have better results if you change the "unit of measurement" to mm.
acknak

Postby acknak » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Ok, I tried the file under a fresh OO settings profile and I see the same values you do: 16.11 x 16.36

I tried changing the size to 16.23 x 16.48 then save and re-load but the size did not change again, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Have you changed the measurement unit from the default that OO started with? If so, is your computer configured for English units, or metric units?

If any of this has changed at some point, that may be the root of the problem. OO is not very robust when any kind of unit conversion is triggered. It's not unusual to have problems with round-off.
acknak

Postby RoryOF » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Don't forget that the paper on which the image is printed will expand and contract with humidity, with different coefficients of expansion in the length and the width. An expansion of 0.5% - 1% might not be unexpected. Best to dimension each critical line.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Draw