Are Some Defaults hard coded?

Discuss the drawing application

Are Some Defaults hard coded?

Postby NoFighting » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:06 pm

I would like for someone to come out and tell us in a straight forward way, if or that, some or all, of the defaults lots of people want to change ( that is, defaults like color of objects in drawing, and fonts in writer ) are hard coded. Otherwise were can a person go to change them once and for all.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 installed to windows 10
NoFighting

Re: Are Some Defaults hard coded?

Postby Villeroy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:38 pm

Using templates and styles is the key to everything in this office suite.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 pm

As Villeroy says. On changes the settings in a blank document, saves it as a template, then sets that as the default template.
Setting a default template
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby NoFighting » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:29 pm

Thanks so so very much! "Villeroy and RoryOF"

I know I did see that information some where else but did not know what I was seeing.

Now what I need is to have someone clarify that these defaults are actually hard coded. However a user can over ride those defaults using the prescribed method.

I did test the procedure. The only thing I found that is not clearly described above is that you have to place your new template in the template folder specified for user templates at tool>options>paths. That path can be edited, but you will need to synchronize with that path in order to set your template as a new default template.

If someone else can express these things more clearly, please do so.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 installed to windows 10
NoFighting

Postby Villeroy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:40 pm

You can store templates anywhere you want but integrated templates offer some extra features.
File>Templates>Save saves the current document as a template in the profile directory.
File>Templates>Edit opens a template for editing.
File>Templates>Organize lets you move (drag&drop) and copy (Ctrl#Drag&Drop) styles, remove, rename templates and set up default templates.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Draw