[Solved] Writer compared with Draw

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Writer compared with Draw

Postby zmzmzm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:57 pm

What are the basic differences between Writer and Draw? Both of them manipulate text and both of them manipulate graphics. What are the major differences?
Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 3.1 on WindowsXP Pro
zmzmzm

Re: Writer compared with Draw

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Writer can handle book-length text, with book type formatting. It is a better tool for writing and editing such texts. Its draw facilities are designed for simple drawings, such as an ellipse about some text. If you remember typewriters, Writer is more powerful than an extremely sophisticated typewriter and would be used for projects appropriate to such a machine.

Draw is designed for more complex drawings, with major use of colour and shadings. Its text editing is simple, designed more for headlines and captions rather than text length editing. Draw is equivalent to a pad of art paper and a box of pencils, brushes and paints.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby zmzmzm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks Rory:
Are the text tools in Draw vector or bitmap? Is Draw similar to Adobe Illustrator? I never learned Illustrator, although I am quite proficient in Photoshop. I used Adobe Pagemaker for years, but Adobe abandoned it. Photoshop text tools are (or were as of my last upgrade a few years ago) crude bitmaps. I have been reluctant to face the learning curve for Draw, as I am 70 years old - but I am now ready to jump in. BTW - are URLs allowed in these posts?
Thanks for replying so quickly.
zmzmzm

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:41 pm

zmzmzm wrote:Are the text tools in Draw vector or bitmap? Is Draw similar to Adobe Illustrator? I never learned Illustrator, although I am quite proficient in Photoshop. I used Adobe Pagemaker for years, but Adobe abandoned it. Photoshop text tools are (or were as of my last upgrade a few years ago) crude bitmaps. I have been reluctant to face the learning curve for Draw, as I am 70 years old - but I am now ready to jump in. BTW - are URLs allowed in these posts?
Thanks for replying so quickly.

As far as I know, mostly vector. Similar to Adobe Illustrator? Not a clone and not as developed. I used Coreldraw, but haven't used/needed it in 15 years (class of work changed), so my personal experience is out of date.

URLs directly related to OpenOffice are permitted, others are discouraged. Commercial URLS are not allowed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby keme » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 am

AFAIK, all operations in Draw work on vectors and objects. You can have bitmap images as objects and backgrounds, and export your drawing or parts of it to a bitmap file, but within Draw there is no manipulating on pixel level. You may say that it is similar to Illustrator, but it is really in a different league. Not so good for refined graphics output (Inkscape is the open source go-to app for that), but quite a nice tool for wiring/workflow/conceptual diagrams and forms design, and also usable as a 2D technical sketching app (not quite CAD, but works for simple drawings, floorplans, single parts, etc.). Out of the "industry standard" titles, Draw is perhaps most similar to MS Visio.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby zmzmzm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks Keme. I appreciate your taking the time to be answer.
zmzmzm

Return to Draw