On Hold-partly resolved:Guidelines of pictures showing up on

Discuss the drawing application

On Hold-partly resolved:Guidelines of pictures showing up on

Postby serensix » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:29 am

Windows 7 open office 4.1.0
Urgent help needed! I spent ages making a leaflet, lowest layer- large picture, next - there is a semi transparent background - coloured. overlain on that another picture. The uppermost picture has 'guidelines' (horizontal lines emmanating from the top and bottom which show up - as the background is transparent. They disappear when the background is made opaque and loses its transparency. But I want the transparent background as it is part of the design. These lines show up on print preview and in the pdf format. AAAgh!

Please can anyone advise? Thanks. I need to get this leaflet to the printers asap.
Last edited by serensix on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 4.1.0
serensix

Re: Guidelines of pictures showing up on transparent backgro

Postby jrkrideau » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Can you upload a sample document? The upload button is at the bottom of the reply window. If it is too large to upload you might upload to a hosting services such as mediafire or dropbox and post the link.
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Guidelines of pictures showing up on transparent backgro

Postby serensix » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:16 pm

thank you for your swift response. In the meantime I have had to change my design slightly to accommodate this issue and as time is of the essence I will manage ok with that. I am very grateful to you and will re-submit this query at a future date when I have more time to sort it out. Thanks again.
open office 4.1.0
serensix

Re: On Hold-partly resolved:Guidelines of pictures showing u

Postby acknak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:20 pm

serensix wrote:... These lines show up on print preview and in the pdf format. ...

If I understand what you're seeing, it's a known problem: the lines show up as a result of antialiasing (smoothing) transparent objects. The lines do not actually exist; they're an artifact of how the software renders the document on the screen.

You can try turning off antialiasing (smoothing) in the pdf viewer. What effect that will have at the printing, I can't say. It may only appear on the monitor and not in the printed material.

An alternative approach is to combine the images in some other (image editing) software, then use the single combined image in the OO document.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: On Hold-partly resolved:Guidelines of pictures showing u

Postby serensix » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:23 pm

thanks will give it a shot!
open office 4.1.0
serensix

Return to Draw