How? "Default" Margin Settings in AOO Drawing

Discuss the drawing application

How? "Default" Margin Settings in AOO Drawing

Postby semicodin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:44 am

I've got a bunch of graphics that I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to Open in AOO Drawing in order to Save-to-PDF, and what's driving me nuts is having to clear the .50" margins in Drawing for each file. I'm trying to set defaults in Drawing so that the imported graphic automatically snaps to the 8½" X 11" page edges. Is there a way to set AOO Drawing's Default Margins/Page Format?

And more generally . . . If you had a bunch of 8½" X 11" graphics you needed to export as hi-res PDF files, how would you do it?

Thanks. This per-instance-margin reset is a process only slightly worse than root canal. :mrgreen:

semicodin
WINDOWS XP PRO
WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT [Currently Building]
APACHE OPEN OFFICE ver. 4.1.0
semicodin

Re: How? "Default" Margin Settings in AOO Drawing

Postby F3K Total » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi,
it's easy.
Modify an empty .odg to have zero margin, save it as template, e.g. noMargin.otg to your templates-folder in your user-directory, url is shown in Tools/Options.../OpenOffice/Paths.
Then goto Menue Files/Templates/Organize -> doubleclick MyTemplates, select noMargin, click on the right on Commands -> Set as default Template.
That was it.
If you now open a new draw document, it will have 0.00 margins.
R
    MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
    my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
F3K Total
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:27 pm

F3K Total wrote:... save it as template, ... to your templates-folder in your user-directory, url is shown in Tools/Options.../OpenOffice/Paths. ...

Or, use File > Templates > Save ...

semicodin wrote:I've got a bunch of graphics that I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to Open in AOO Drawing in order to Save-to-PDF ...

I don't know what kind of graphics you're working with here but it may be possible to batch-convert them and skip OO altogether.

For example, just about any kind of image can be converted directly to pdf.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby semicodin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 pm

F3K Total . . .
Maybe it's just me but I've never seen a program so hostile to custom folders and directories. :ouch: I never bury my files in subdirectories of the OS's partition. The whole My this and My that Windows crap I want to gag. I've exiled Windows on a partition with the ignominious drive letter of Y just to get it out of my way. :lol: I'll try again but it seemed the program was driving me (sorry, couldn't resist) to my OS drive in one of the Mighty My folders.

acknak . . .
I've seen so many people who praise Image Magick. I downloaded it months ago but didn't realize it's a DOS command-line-like program (hurl!). The files are just ordinary .pngs (and the odd .svg or .tif) which prior to my old PIII beater going into meltdown (and choking my RPC) I had the luxury of printing to my Acrobat Pro. I have no print capacity and it's brutal I tell ya!
WINDOWS XP PRO
WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT [Currently Building]
APACHE OPEN OFFICE ver. 4.1.0
semicodin

Postby F3K Total » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi,
sorry to have guided you in a too complicated direction, it's not necessary to find that template-folder.
I just didn't know, that there is this simple way:
acknak wrote:Or, use File > Templates > Save ...

R
    MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
    my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
F3K Total
Volunteer

Postby keme » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 am

semicodin wrote:...And more generally . . . If you had a bunch of 8½" X 11" graphics you needed to export as hi-res PDF files, how would you do it?

I'd use Image Magick. Then again, I'm old enough to accept the clunk and appreciate the power of the command line...
semicodin wrote:...I've seen so many people who praise Image Magick. I downloaded it months ago but didn't realize it's a DOS command-line-like program (hurl!)...

FastStone image viewer is a good tool. It can convert between most graphics formats and has a batch conversion option. It also converts to pdf, but alas, that format is not available for batch conversion, so for pdf you have to do the files one by one.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Return to Draw