hello
I do not have mircosoft anymore and I need to redo my CV
my CV is creative
so I need to put in boxes like available in Draw
then I want to import all the text for the CV which is three pages

I want to include other boxes to

I have made first shape box in draw
copied all cv text but it will not paste only the top title and line

can anyone advise me if this is possible????

how can I have a document with shapes and text
windows 8.1
office 4.1.1
magik

Re: what to use to include shapes and text?????

Postby Villeroy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Create your CV entirely with Draw. It can be used like a desktop publishing application.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: what to use to include shapes and text?????

Postby acknak » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:34 pm

magik wrote:... copied all cv text but it will not paste only the top title and line ...

You may have better results if you copy/paste individual blocks of text. If you have text in a box, you may be able to select/copy/paste the text but not the whole box with the text.

Also, what file format are you starting with? You may be able to convert it to something that will open directly in OO.

You can certainly use OO Draw for a document containing text. The main limitation is with text that needs to flow across pages. Draw provides no way to do that. Oh, and also that you can't export a drawing in MS Word format, which many places require for job applications. You can export a pdf from OO Draw and many places can accept that.

The other possibility is to use OO Writer. Writer has some desktop publishing capabilities and it provides for text that flows across pages. It will also export a .doc file, if required.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: What to use to include shapes and text?

Postby keme » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am

Elaborating on acknak's response...
Writer is also better than Draw at flowing text around shapes, while draw can fit text inside shapes. Writer has some drawing capabilities. You can also copy drawing elements from Draw to Writer, and embed Draw documents in Writer or vice versa.

Which approach is best depends on the "creative level" of your CV. To enable us to advise better, some detail would be useful. You may not want to upload your full CV to a public place, but perhaps an anonymised version:
Substitute text content with dummy text if you can still edit the CV file, or take a picture (screenshot?) and smudge areas with sensitive info.
Find the "Upload attachment" tab below the edit pane when you post a reply.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Return to Draw