Multiple page files

Discuss the drawing application

Multiple page files

Postby tommcw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:54 pm

I've got a large drawing of a map on three pages. I'm having a lot of trouble with oo draw locking up on me. I'm not sure why I'm having so many instability issues with OO draw but I'm thinking that maybe the file is just so large with so many elements that it's just too much for my processor. What I'm wanting to do is to separate each of the pages into it's own file. Then I can work on one page at a time to reduce the amount of processing. I can't figure out how to do it. The only thing I can think of is to cut and paste each page into a new file, but that's just causing it to lock up. I think my computer is just trying to do too many things at once. If anyone knows a simpler way to do this please let me know. Additionally, if anyone can suggest another reason I am having problems I would appreciate that too.

The .odg file is 84K and has a few hundred discrete drawing elements.

I have an Intel core i5-3230M, 2.6 GHz processor,
8 GB of Ram,
running Windows 8.1, 64 bit
OO vn. 4.1.1

Thanks
tommcw

Re: Multiple page files

Postby acknak » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:08 pm

tommcw wrote:... The .odg file is 84K and has a few hundred discrete drawing elements. ...

This should be no problem. I've had no problem with much larger Draw files.

If you want to try splitting the file, you might try this: use your file manager to make three new copies of the file. Open each one and delete two pages and save the single page back to the same file. That should give you three single-page files.

The usual approach when OO starts acting strangely is to get a fresh OO settings profile. This just means exiting OO, renaming (or removing) the folder where OO stores all its settings, then restarting OO--it will then create a new settings profile folder.

For details, see: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: Multiple page files

Postby tommcw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 am

I'll give that settings profile reset a try and see if that helps
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 8
tommcw

Return to Draw