[Solved] Origami Diagramming

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Origami Diagramming

Postby milindoka » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:28 am

Edit:  
Hi,

I want to draw origami diagrams using Draw. I am little surprised to get no results for origami on this forum as it is a very popular and ancient art where you need a drawing program to create diagrams (similar to flow chart)
Today many artists are using commercial applications to do this task. At present I use Inkscape (open source). So I wanted to compare it with open office draw. I am very happy that office draw experience was much better. It seemed very polished application with good look and feel and nice export to pdf routine . Most of the origami line styles were available but a few were missing. There was only one style of dashed line (vally fold). I actually wanted more styles for dashed lines. Few symbols that I needed were also not there. I think while creating flow chart symbols, origami was not considered. standard origami symbols could have been added at the same time.

Also importing/exporting inkscape and Draw files seems no help as I cannot edit them properly. The whole file seems to be in one group and I am unable to edit separate objects.

I can manually make symbols but then it would be time consuming and will not be useful to other users. I would like a whole set of origami symbols. I would love to draw origami diagrams using draw. I am sure many origamist would switch to office draw if you implement this in your next release.

I hope developers will consider this.

Thanks and all best wishes to OO team.

-- Milind
Last edited by milindoka on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
milindoka

Re: Origami Diagramming

Postby Zizi64 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:20 am

You can create new custom linestyles in Draw (or Impress):

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... ting_lines
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby milindoka » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks Zizi64, I tried your solution and it worked. But knowing the potential of draw I knew it could have been done. Since I am a first time user I just did not know how to do it. But my point was different. In my question I said...

"I can manually make symbols but then it would be time consuming and will not be useful to other users."

I Just want have a very few styles or symbols which should be available in a default set or plugin. Is it possible if an artist makes a template or something like that which can be used by ordinary user or only developers need to implement it ?

15661455654_ca2e6165ca_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8642/15661455654_ca2e6165ca_b.jpg

I cannot edit/copy/paste/enlarge these symbols which I can do in Inkscape.

If there is a small plugin for origami diagram symbols, this set will become a standard in the origami world. There are not many diagrammers but there are thousands of folders who use these diagrams for folding. I am sure this will increase OO user base substantially. In inkscape there is no arrangement made specially for Origami.
(Thanaks to Rikki for making this available for all at least in Inkscape )

--- Milind
milindoka

Postby Zizi64 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:37 pm

I hope developers will consider this.

I think: they will not...
- Because there are not developers in this forum. (Or they rarely are here.) We are users as you.
- Because they have enough tasks and jobs with bugs and other errors in the newer versions.

You can package your shapes and graphical symbols as an .oxt extension, or maybe there is an expert user or developer, who can help you to create it. And then you can distribute it under GNU or other licence.

The ".oxt" extension is an easy intallable package of the custom features.
See custom image packs in the "Draw extensions" page:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/sea ... cation%3A6
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby milindoka » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:01 am

Thanks again, I got the complete answer. I need to do some extension development like origami oxt or wait till an expert does it.
milindoka

Postby RusselB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:07 am

You might as well give it a try yourself, as you could be waiting a long time for an expert to do it... presuming an expert even wants to put in the time and effort.
Additionally, if you do it, then you could claim the title of "expert" in relation to this project.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Return to Draw