Eyedropper tool in OpenOffice Draw

Discuss the drawing application

Eyedropper tool in OpenOffice Draw

Postby jimijayj » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:13 am

Hello! I am having trouble finding the tool in open office draw that will allow me to select a color from a loaded picture to use as a shape fill. I have opened a jpg image in open office, and I would like to use a specific shade that the picture contains. Almost every other visual editor has this feature, so I was wondering how to do this in Open Office. Thank you! :D
Open office version 4.1.1
Windows 8.1
jimijayj

Re: Eyedropper tool in Open Office Draw

Postby RoryOF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:35 am

The Help file says this
Replacing Colours
You can replace colours in bitmaps with the Colour Replacer tool.
Up to four colours can be replaced at once.
You can also use the Transparency option to replace the transparent areas of an image with a colour.
Similarly, you can use the Colour Replacer to make a colour on your image transparent.
To replace colours with the Colour Replacer tool
Ensure that the image you are using is a bitmap (for example, BMP, GIF, JPG, or PNG) or a metafile (for example, WMF).
1. Choose Tools - Colour Replacer.
2. Click the Colour Replacer icon and position the mouse pointer over the colour you want to replace in the image. The colour appears in the box next to the icon.
3. Click the colour in the image. The colour appears in the first Source colour box and the check box next to the colour is selected.
4. In the Replace with box, select the new colour.

This replaces all occurrences of the Source colour in the image.

5. If you want to replace another colour while the dialogue box is open, mark the check box in front of Source colour in the next row and repeat steps 3 to 5.
6. Click Replace.

If you want to expand or contract the colour selection area, increase or decrease the tolerance of the Colour Replacer tool and repeat your selection.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Eyedropper tool in OpenOffice Draw

Postby jimijayj » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:00 am

Thank you RoryOF, but I would not like to replace all instances of a color. I would like to select a specific color from the image and re-purpose as a fill-color for shapes I create. Thank you!
Windows 8.1
jimijayj

Postby acknak » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:16 am

Sorry, OO does not have a screen color picker. You'll have to use some other software to find the coordinates for the color you want.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby RusselB » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:51 am

Paint on Windows 7 seems to do the job nicely.. unless MS took Paint out of Windows 8.1 then I think that's a quick option.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby jimijayj » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Are there any add-ons I could obtain for this software that would do the job? I would like to stick with a vector graphics program, so MS Paint will not do. Adobe Illustrator works great for this purpose, but I'd rather not spend the money...
Windows 8.1
jimijayj

Postby Zizi64 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 am

The extension "RGB" allows you to apply rgb color codes to a shape (or to the style of a shape) in the Writer, or in Draw, or Calc cell background. The color code you can get from other application, such: Colorzilla, picture editors, or others.

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/rgb
http://www.colorzilla.com/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Draw