Repeating image

Discuss the drawing application

Repeating image

Postby tmauch » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi everyone, I'm trying to design a poster in Draw, and I want to add an image. I draw a box and then, with it selected, I go to the Insert menu, select picture, and then select from file. In the box that pops up, I select the image I want and have tried selecting and not selecting link. When it pulls up my image, it actually repeats my images, repeating more and more as I drag the box to be bigger. I have tried this with multiple issues and have the same problem each time. I just want my image shown once with the ability to resize it. What am I doing wrong?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
tmauch

Re: Repeating image

Postby acknak » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong; what you describe has always worked for me as expected.

First, are you sure that you're getting multiple copies of the image? It may be just a graphics glitch that isn't removing temporary versions of the image.

I don't know of any way to force Draw to re-display the page from scratch but if you change the zoom, that should have the same effect. If the extra copies disappear, then you know it's just a display glitch.

As a workaround, you can always change the size using (right-click) > Position & Size ...
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:43 pm

I draw a box and then, with it selected, I go to the Insert menu, select

I think: You have not (simply) inserted a picture into the Draw layer, but you insert the picture into a Shape (as background picture). And the Shape is set to Tile type background: the small bakground picture will repeated in the resized (largered) shape.

If you want to insert a picture onto a Layer, but not into a Shape: do not select any Shape before insert the picture into the Layer.

If you want tu use the picture as a background image of a Shape (without repeating) then you need IMPORT a picture into the store of background images, you need apply it as background picture, and need adjust bakground property of the shape: uncheck "Tile" property.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.0; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:19 am

Oh, good point!

There is a problem with the latest version where inserted images can end up as background or fill for shapes instead of simply being added to the drawing. Maybe this bug is biting you as well?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Mr.Dandy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Same problem in Impress.
Issue reported: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125387
OpenOffice 4.1.3 - Windows 7
Mr.Dandy

Return to Draw