[Solved] Connectors (aren't worth using)

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Connectors (aren't worth using)

Postby pdizzle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:02 am

Looking for someone to confirm or deny some things about connectors:

1) a connector is not an object if it is attached to something (which could be why they cannot be dragged across layers if attached to an object)
2) the only way to manually route connectors in Draw is by the red square "bend point" which may or may not appear
3) it is not possible for users to manually add red square bend points to connectors
4) the number of bend points is determined as: #bend_points = #user_requires - 1

OK, #4 is questionable but I think the first three are true. This wouldn't bother me except I noticed after copying a page, the connectors on the second page are routing differently than on the first. If I just copy the desired connector from my first page, it is positioned correctly but attempting to connect the end points to the objects goofs up the routing immediately.

Should I concede to the whims of Draw and just leave uncooperative connectors un-connected or insist that connectors stay where I put them?
Last edited by pdizzle on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on WinXP/WinXP64/Ubuntu11.10+xfce
pdizzle

Re: Connectors

Postby acknak » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I don't know anything about 1 or 2; I have no reason to question your testing of it.

3 is true, as far as I know.

4? It's a reasonable hypothesis.

My experience with Draw's connectors is that they're often not worth the trouble. It depends on the drawing, but predictable behavior and direct control can be more valuable than the time saved. It's possible to spend more time fiddling with the connectors than it takes to manually re-route plain lines.

If you can find a way to consistently demonstrate a problem, you can always submit a bug report: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby pdizzle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 pm

My experience is paralleling yours, acknak. This morning I ended up redoing a few of the connectors in my document. No reason for the disconnect - they were in the same position but showed green dots when I selected them and didn't track anymore. Easily fixed but ugh still.

There may be advantages to using plain lines anyway. Occasionally and irreproducibly, the connector lines will 'ghost out' to where I still see them but it's impossible to touch (select) them. Never had a problem like this with regular lines. Plus polylines could have as many bend points as I want. Thanks for pointing out the most obvious solution.

Speaking on OO in the larger context, it seems consistency is the biggest user experience complaint regardless of the program or issue. I'd expect some fragmentation just because of who writes the code (thank you all, btw) but I wasn't prepared for how much trouble I'd get from the little details.
pdizzle

Postby pdizzle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:51 pm

It doesn't seem possible to make connectors snap to grid either.
pdizzle

Re: [Solved] Connectors (aren't worth using)

Postby faithful » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 pm

A google search for adding more bends to connector lines brought me here. Since I figured out how to do it, I thought I would share it for future reference to those who would like to do the same.

To add more bends to connectors lines simply connect two connectors together. In other words, if you have a connector that's connected between 2 objects, first remove the connection (but not the connector!) from the 2nd object by dragging the connector handle away from it. Then add a connector between the end of the first connector and the 2nd object. To drag the connection between the connector lines, I find that I usually have to select the connector line that was drawn first.
LibreOffice 4.2.6.3
faithful

Return to Draw