Reverse image for Iron on Transfer?

Discuss the drawing application

Reverse image for Iron on Transfer?

Postby suncoastguy » Sat May 15, 2010 7:23 pm

I have designed a Logo for my new business and I need to create a "backwards image" of it so that when I iron it onto a fabric it will show "normal" on the fabric. If anyone can help me with this I will be very thankful

suncoastguy
open office 3.1 Windows xp
suncoastguy

Re: ?? Reverse image for Iron on Transfer ??

Postby acknak » Sat May 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Sorry, there's no option for this, although it would be a nice enhancement.

Have you looked on your printer dialog? Some printer drivers may support mirror printing.

You can make a mirror image of a drawing in Draw fairly easily, except for text objects. Just join everything into one group, then grab one side and drag, making the drawing narrower. Keep dragging. The figure will get thinner and thinner, until, as you pass the opposite side, it will start getting larger again but it will now be mirrored. Keep dragging until you get it back to the right size again (holding shift while you drag can prevent distorting the figure).

This does not work on text objects--the text will always be drawn in the normal orientation--but you can convert text to curves and then mirror it as above.

Alternatively, you can export the whole thing as an image and then reverse the image before printing.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: Reverse image for Iron on Transfer?

Postby suncoastguy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Acknak,
Cool Avatar.
Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your help. At this point it all sounds Greek to me but I will try what you suggested.
Thanks again
Suncoastguy
open office 3.1 Windows xp
suncoastguy

Postby SturgeonCoFolk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 am

Hi. You can either create a text box in Draw, or paste text into Draw, then:
1 `Modify`- Convert - To Bitmap
2 `Modify` - Flip - Horizontally
OpenOffice 3.30 on Windows7 Home Premium
SturgeonCoFolk

Postby GeraldACB » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:14 pm

I just came across this because I wanted to print text the way a compositor sees it when working with lead type.

You can do this with Inkscape. First you need to save your work in pdf format, which you can do with Open Office and Word.

Then you open the pdf file in Inkscape. Inkscape will only deal with one page at a time but that isn’t likely to worry you.

What you now have is an image of the page. Imagine the image is in a book with transparent pages, and your page is on the right hand side. Now turn the page over. It’s now on the left, and since you can see through the page, it’s a mirror image. Then all you have to do is shift the page across to the right by one page width to have what you want.

So start by selecting all with Ctrl A. Now click on Object on the menu bar and select Transform. In the box which appears click on the Matrix tab.

You now get six values displayed, A to F. Initially just A and D are 1, and the others 0. Make A -1. This will negate all the x co-ordinates. That’s the equivalent of turning the page over. Now put the page width in E. That moves the page right by one page width, which is what you want. You can read the page width from the ruler above the image. Click on Apply and it’s done. You can then save the image as pdf or whatever you want, or just print it. The advantage of this way of doing it is that the new image is still a vector image so you can magnify it as much as you like without seeing pixels.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7 Family Premium
GeraldACB

Return to Draw