Page 2 of 2

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 pm
by 3guesses
Villeroy wrote:The requested feature won't be implemented because it presumes a security flaw (one password for all docs). I wrote a simple customization macro just for you. Use it or leave it.


It makes no such presumption. Indeed, it would in all likelihood increase the security of users' data by encouraging them to password-protect their files; I have absolutely no statistics to back up my suspicions, but I suspect that 99% of all documents created using AOO are NOT password-protected.

On the other hand, it is extremely presumptive of you to assert that "the requested feature won't be implemented".

Thanks for the offer, but I will leave your macro.

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 pm
by RoryOF
I agree with Villeroy and for the same reasons: I do not expect that this feature will be implemented.

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:31 pm
by Villeroy
3guesses wrote:It makes no such presumption.

Initial posting wrote:I password-protect some of the files I create with OpenOffice just so that they are not readily accessible should they fall into somebody's else hands, and I use the same password for all of the files. I would really like the ability to sort of "logon" to OO with this password ...

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:14 pm
by 3guesses
RoryOF wrote:I agree with Villeroy and for the same reasons: I do not expect that this feature will be implemented.

You are, of course, very welcome to your opinion. But I should like to note that this is exactly the same functionality as offered by VeraCrypt.

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:16 pm
by 3guesses
Villeroy wrote:
3guesses wrote:It makes no such presumption.

Initial posting wrote:I password-protect some of the files I create with OpenOffice just so that they are not readily accessible should they fall into somebody's else hands, and I use the same password for all of the files. I would really like the ability to sort of "logon" to OO with this password ...

There is no PRESUMPTION by the application. It is merely an OPTION offered to the user. Again, I should like to note that my request is for exactly the same functionality as offered by VeraCrypt.

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:19 pm
by Villeroy
Well, and my macro does a fairly good job for those who happen to know what "VeraCrypt" does.

Re: Password Protected Files

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:07 pm
by 3guesses
Villeroy wrote:Well, and my macro does a fairly good job for those who happen to know what "VeraCrypt" does.

It's a kludge (that's the technical term). This functionality should be built into the application - as is the case with VeraCrypt.