[Solved] Need Help with Backgrounds

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] Need Help with Backgrounds

Postby rabbithutch » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:14 am

My second question here; so be advised that I'm a noob trying to learn a new tool.

I want to make a simple avatar. It consists of 2 text areas and a picture area. When I'm done, I want the entire image to appear without any white (or other color) background. I've tried this in both Impress and Draw, but I'm in way over my head at this point on my learning curve.

In Impress, I first opened a blank slide (not formatted areas) then clicked on the Text tool. I typed in the "H" then used the font control tools to increase its size to 300 and choose the font. I then used drag and drop to position it on the slide near the center. Next I clicked the Text tool and typed "Bob". Again I chose font and size (26) and moved the text between the uprights on the large H. Finally, I clicked on Insert>Picture>From File and chose the image file and pressed Enter. Every time I tried to enter the picture on the original page, the image tiled across an area that I had not selected nor defined. Yesterday I asked about the tiling and got good advice from acknak to use a separate slide to put the image on then copy and paste it from the second slide to the first slide. That worked; however the result is that the background of the image is not clear but white. When I create the image, this is what I see . . . (Note, I used a green background fill on the slide so that I could distinguish objects on the slide. I can remove that easily.):

18-01-$7RHH Desktop.png
18-01-$7RHH Desktop.png (11.19 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

I have little knowledge of layers and transparency effects but thought to read Help on them. I learned that Impress does not have a Layers function but that Draw does; so I repeated the process in Draw with similar results. Because the Draw page has a grid, I didn't do a background fill (don't know if it's possible to do so). Here is the result:
18-01-$7RHH Draw Desktop.png
18-01-$7RHH Draw Desktop.png (15.15 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

Each each case, the background of the picture is opaque. Is there anything I can do to make the picture background transparent? (Does my question even make sense?)

TIA
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
rabbithutch

Re: Need Help with Backgrounds

Postby acknak » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:38 am

It appears that your image has a white background. If you want that to be transparent, you have to change it manually. There is a tool for this, called the "color replacer".

1) select the image
2) Tools > Color Replacer ... (a new dialog window should open)
3) Click on the little "eye dropper" or "pipette" icon in the upper left corner, then click anywhere on the white background of the image. The first (top) item in the replacement list should get a checkmark; the "replace with" column should show "transparent".
4) Click "Replace"
5) Click the "X" in the upper right of the replace tool dialog when you're finished.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: Need Help with Backgrounds

Postby rabbithutch » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Thank you, again, acknak!

Your solution was perfect. I now have the image I wanted.

:super:
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
rabbithutch

Re: [Solved] Need Help with Backgrounds

Postby acknak » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:26 am

No problem. Glad you got it to work.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Impress