Troubles viewing Impress file in Powerpoint

Discuss the presentation application

Troubles viewing Impress file in Powerpoint

Postby Pauhana » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:31 pm

I recently ran into a situation where my laptop was having trouble piping things to a projector, so I ended up having to put the presentation on a stick and use a provided laptop which was running Office / Powerpoint. I was rather disappointed with the results. Specifically, all the images in my slides were darkened to the point of being useless, and some of the text captions had shifted about. I realize that the two applications are different, but I'm really at a loss with regard to the image brightness; shouldn't an included image render the same in both apps?

To avoid similar issues in the future, would it be best to dump the slides out as pdf? (I generally don't make use of animations, etc.)
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8.1
Pauhana

Re: Troubles viewing Impress file in Powerpoint

Postby acknak » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

I've never noticed such a problem with images or viewing ppt files, but anything is possible.

When I have to use unknown equipment, I always take an extra copy exported as pdf. It won't deal with animations or transition effects but I can be sure to have at least a simple slide show.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:58 pm

You can use the portable versions of the Apache OpenOffice or the LibreOffice to View the native .odp file type slideshows.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.1; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:04 pm

You have a problem with Powerpoint not displaying your document correctly. What does Microsoft tell about this issue?
When OpenOffice can not handle some Microsoft document (which happends from time to time), would you blame Microsoft?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Pauhana » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Sorry, but I'm not blaming anyone here. I'm simply asking if anyone else has run into similar problems, and how they've addressed them.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about what I was looking for...
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8.1
Pauhana

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

I always display OpenOffice presentations on my laptop. I tell them my presentations are not prepared on MS Powerpoint.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Impress