Corrupt formats in ppt or pptx coming from Mac or Windows

Discuss the presentation application

Corrupt formats in ppt or pptx coming from Mac or Windows

Postby rawlins02 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:27 pm

Version: 4.2.8.2
Build ID: 420m0(Build:2)
Ubuntu 14.04

My inquiry is about ever-present formatting issues. I think I'll have to work under Windows OS (dual boot) to modify a large pptx presentation I received from a colleague using a Mac. As usual, too many of the text boxes and graphics are misplaced. Any solutions on the best way to deal with this?
LibreOffice Version: 4.2.8.2 on Ubuntu 14.04
rawlins02

Re: corrupt formats in ppt or pptx coming from Mac or Window

Postby RusselB » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:26 am

Are you using LibreOffice, as I suspect based on the version number given in your post, or Open Office, as indicated by your forum signature?
We do NOT recommend working with the .ppt/.pptx file formats when working in Open/Libre Office.
It is recommended that you work using the .odp file format, then, if necessary, when you are done with the project, export/save it in .ppt format from Open Office.... Libre Office might support the .pptx format, as I understand that it is more compatible with the Microsoft file formats.
In any case, saving to a format other than .odp from Open/LibreOffice risks the loss of formatting.
There is a warning box about this when you use File -> Save As and select a format other than .odp
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby rawlins02 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:41 pm

RusselB wrote:Are you using LibreOffice, as I suspect based on the version number given in your post, or Open Office, as indicated by your forum signature?
We do NOT recommend working with the .ppt/.pptx file formats when working in Open/Libre Office.
It is recommended that you work using the .odp file format, then, if necessary, when you are done with the project, export/save it in .ppt format from Open Office.... Libre Office might support the .pptx format, as I understand that it is more compatible with the Microsoft file formats.
In any case, saving to a format other than .odp from Open/LibreOffice risks the loss of formatting.
There is a warning box about this when you use File -> Save As and select a format other than .odp

Yes, LibreOffice. I'll update my signature. But I'm confused. What to do when one is given a ppt or pptx, and the text boxes and graphics are corrupt upon opening? Does saving to .odp return the slides to how they'd look if I were running a Mac or Windows? I have no trouble when creating my own presentations or docs.
rawlins02

Postby rawlins02 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:38 am

OK. So must be that most users do not frequently interact (eg exchange presentations) with other people who use MacOS and/or Windows. Unless someone provides a concrete solution, my take away is that using OpenOffice Impress carries several limitations in collaborations. What I'm experiencing right now in dealing with corrupt formats is a major pain in the ass.
rawlins02

Postby RoryOF » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 am

This is to be expected as neither OpenOffice or LibreOffice claims to be an MS Office clone. The MS formats are proprietary and their structure and the filters used have been reverse engineered, with limited success. If you must work with MS Office formats you should consider acquiring MS Office; if your requirement is display only, there are free viewers available to download for such formats on the MS site.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby rawlins02 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:47 pm

RoryOF wrote:This is to be expected as neither OpenOffice or LibreOffice claims to be an MS Office clone. The MS formats are proprietary and their structure and the filters used have been reverse engineered, with limited success. If you must work with MS Office formats you should consider acquiring MS Office; if your requirement is display only, there are free viewers available to download for such formats on the MS site.

I and my colleagues are often given files with extensions .ppt and .pptx. These come from users running both Windows OS and MacOS. You say I should consider acquiring MS Office. Does MS Office run on linux distributions, or are you suggesting I work on these presentation under a Windows operating system? Still unclear if this is a reasonable solution. I just find it hard to believe that other linux users are not encountering similar hindrances. Perhaps this is not a major issue since we linux users are a small proportion of the user population. I'll post a message on the Ubuntu forums.
rawlins02

Postby RoryOF » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:28 pm

rawlins02 wrote:
RoryOF wrote:This is to be expected as neither OpenOffice or LibreOffice claims to be an MS Office clone. The MS formats are proprietary and their structure and the filters used have been reverse engineered, with limited success. If you must work with MS Office formats you should consider acquiring MS Office; if your requirement is display only, there are free viewers available to download for such formats on the MS site.

I and my colleagues are often given files with extensions .ppt and .pptx. These come from users running both Windows OS and MacOS. You say I should consider acquiring MS Office. Does MS Office run on linux distributions, or are you suggesting I work on these presentation under a Windows operating system? Still unclear if this is a reasonable solution. I just find it hard to believe that other linux users are not encountering similar hindrances. Perhaps this is not a major issue since we linux users are a small proportion of the user population. I'll post a message on the Ubuntu forums.

MS Office does not run on linux distros; a number if ways to run Windows applications on linux are set out in
http://www.howtogeek.com/133515/4-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-linux/

What tools you select to run achieve the results you require are your choice. It may be that linux distros and applications are not the best solution for you - only you can tell; one has to learn to work within their limitations.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Impress