Won't work w/o Java, and Java won't Work

Discuss the presentation application

Won't work w/o Java, and Java won't Work

Postby Internaut » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:17 am

Within Impress, I click Help > Find, then enter a word and > find and I get the error:

“OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice.

Java does not, should say will not install. I tried the online means - nothing. I DL'd whole setup, and it ran for about 2 seconds and ended.

Java is not installed on this computer.. OOffice Tools > Options > Java> says there is one, but doesn't show it, and can't find it. It's not in Cpanel > Programs & Features >, nor in the Start > All Files, nor C:\All Programs\

I know this is not the Java BBS/Board/Forum but it's been too hard to get to Java to ask why. So, my question if OpenOffice can see it, why repeat the needs JRE abd,"do I need to have Java to run anything else within OpenOffice?
I am so far behind I can see my own butt! OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Internaut

Re: Won't work w/o Java, and Java won't Work

Postby RusselB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:14 am

When you look at the entry under Open Office Tools > Options > Java, is there a black dot beside the entry?
If not, click on the dot that is there... it should turn from white to black (aka fill in)
I have found that this is a required step for Open Office to recognize the entry, even if there is only one entry.
A related topic here
There is a tutorial Troubleshooting Open Office and Java
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:32 am

Internaut wrote:Java is not installed on this computer.. OOffice Tools > Options > Java> says there is one, but doesn't show it...

I think you're misinterpreting the label which says "Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:". This is strictly a label for the box below, not a statement that there is a JRE runtime installed. If nothing appears in the box below the label, then no JRE is installed. If a JRE is installed, then it will appear in the box below the label.

Since you have no JRE listed in the box, you have no JRE installed.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:05 am

Note that, when on Windows, being a 32 bit application OpenOffice requires a 32 bit Java installation; it will not see a 64 bit Java installation as "valid". One must download and install a 32 bit Java if using a 64 bit Windows. This can be downloaded from http://www.java.com and will have 586 in its file name. Once installed, it must be selected in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Java.

Such 32 bit Java will run happily alongside a previous 64 bit Java
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:33 am

@Internaut: I just noticed that your signature says you're using OOo 3.1. If that's true, you should upgrade to AOO 4.1.2. OOo 3.1 won't recognize Java 7 or Java 8. You would have to track down the long obsolete Java 6. AOO 4.1.2 should recognize Java 7 and Java 8.
AOO 4.1.7 and LO 6.3.2.2 on Manjaro KDE
Bill
Volunteer

Return to Impress