Previously supported video format no longer supported

Discuss the presentation application

Previously supported video format no longer supported

Postby Tweedy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:24 pm

I have an Impress slide presentation that includes a video that plays on Quick Time. I have another video for which I have a code to supply for location. I was able to play it on RealPlayer, but Impress says "The format of the selected file is not supported."

For the heck of it, I tried to use the previously used video on this newer slide presentation. It, too, was not accepted! "The format of the selected file is not supported."

What's going on? :knock: Many thanks!!

P.S. I see, below, that I'm listed as using Yosemite 10.1.1. I can't seem to find the update place: It's Yosemite 10.1.3 Impress 3.4.1
Last edited by Tweedy on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
Tweedy

Re: Previously supported video format no longer supported

Postby Villeroy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:26 pm

The supported video formats depend on the system wide installed codecs.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Tweedy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 pm

I've heard of the term but have no idea what codecs are, let alone why they would've changed since making my last presentation with that same video.
Tweedy

Postby Villeroy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 am

Now I see that you are running a Mac. I better shut up. Don't know anything about Macs.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Tweedy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:52 am

Ha! Thank you for taking a stab at it, anyway!! :bravo:
Tweedy

Postby RoryOF » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:07 am

For information: codecs are filters that translate video/sound files from one format to another; they can be loaded as optional extras.

Like Villeroy. I know nothing about a Mac.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Tweedy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Thank you! I now know about codecs.

Please: If anyone knows about Macs and videos--and why I can no longer insert the SAME video, let alone new ones!!
Tweedy

Postby RoryOF » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:04 pm

You need to see if the video will run outside of OpenOffice. If it does run there, but not in OpenOffice, then try converting it to some other format. If we knew what format it was (the three letter file extension), we might be able to suggest an alternative.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Tweedy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Yes, RoryOF, the video that's on a previous OO Presentation does run outside of OpenOffice: on Quick Time. And it's an .mp4

The newer video is on a website. It uses an Adobe Flash Player. It provides an embed code* and a video link* for sharing. (One can also post it to Facebook, etc.) My Mac no longer supports Adobe, apparently, and the video doesn't play on Quick Time.

Oh! It also says it's played by "JW Player". http://www.jwplayer.com/learn-more/

*Embed code: <iframe width='560' height='315' seamless='seamless' src='http://www.katu.com/familymatters/go_green/TICKLE-BEES-255872371.html?embed' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

*Video Link: http://www.katu.com/familymatters/go_gr ... =video&c=y

THANK YOU!!!!!

J
Tweedy

Postby Villeroy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:16 am

If you are unable to recode an Adobe Flash video, then you rely on application hopping until you find a presentation software for Mac OS able to play embedded Adobe Flash videos.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Tweedy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:48 am

I think I'm following you. Do I want to look for an app that's a video converter? or a video player? What specifically should I look for in the app? Thanks--and sorry for all the questions.
Tweedy

Postby acknak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:14 pm

When I downloaded the video from the link you posted above (right-click on link, save link as ...), I also got an mp4 file: "TICKLE BEES.mp4" If the previous file was ".mp4" then I would expect this one to work also. But anything can happen (that is fail) when it comes to video.

If you haven't tried it yet, I would try using the (downloaded) local file with your presentation.

As a workaround, you may want to simply run the video in your usual video player and avoid trying to embed the video within the presentation.

BTW: I enjoyed the video! We have mining bees in our yard every spring.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Tweedy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:26 am

Hi, Acknak,

Thank you for your suggestion. And glad you enjoyed the video! It's very enlightening--especially for young people, for whom my presentation is aimed.

When I do the equivalent on my Mac of a "right click", I don't get that option other than to copy the link. But I'm not seeing the mp4 extension that you saw.

I would much prefer to embed it in Impress because I'm nervous enough doing a presentation without having to remember to switch it over. Either way, I haven't found a player that plays the Tickle Bee video--only on the website, itself.

If you have any suggestions given my responses, they would be most welcome!!

Thanks, again.
Tweedy

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 am

A method that one can use when a video plays outside of OpenOffice Impress, but not when inserted into Impress, is to make a slide with a a hyperlink to the video file. Clicking on the hyperlink will pull up the system video player which will play the video instead of it being show on a slide. One can pass parameters to cause the video player to be full screen. I know this is a workaround, and can be clunky, but it can get the video shown. If you are doing this, do please rehearse it privately; don't wait until in front of the audience.
RoryOF

Postby Tweedy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:49 am

Ahhhh! Thank you, RoryOF! While I had attempted to do that earlier with no success, this time it worked when I looked for some tool dealing with a hyperlink.

I love your request to make sure I practice this beforehand: It sounded as if you were going to be there and didn't want the pain of watching me struggle with the slides. Ha! :lol:

I guess this hyperlink will have to do. It will have to remain a mystery why a previous video and a new video can no longer be embedded into the presentation. Very frustrating.

Thanks, again.

Judy
Tweedy

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:28 am

It's not that I will be there, but I have seen too many speakers overwhelmed by their technology! I suggest always that one make a trial projection setup at home using the laptop that will be used for the actual presentation. Any monitor can be connected to serve as a pseudo projector; it is good to note the exact settings needed in Impress on the /Slide Show /Slide Show Settings and put them on a sticky label stuck to the laptop, so that they are to hand if you need them.
RoryOF

Postby Tweedy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks, RoryOF!
Tweedy

Return to Impress