Adding photos and keep dimensions

Discuss the presentation application

Adding photos and keep dimensions

Postby freedda » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:10 am

I just added a few images to a slide show, one per slide. The first one worked fine, the second 'stretched' out so it went to the edges of the slide, even though the original image is in portrait mode (taller than wide). How can I keep this from happening when adding images. In most cases, I want them as large as possible, but without distorting them.

Also, when making the show, I added an image to the first slide, then added a blank slide and put a second photo in it. The image shows up on the screen in the program, but not in the left hand side preview menu and not when I play the slide show. The only way I could get it to work, was to delete the second slide, copy the first one, then insert a new image into it (which might have something to it being skewer?). This seems like it's way harder than it should be.

Best, David.
freedda

Re: adding photos and keep dimensions

Postby saphil » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:15 am

Hi David
If you make duplicate slides every time instead of adding a blank slide and deleting it, you will save a good deal of time. :-)
But seriously, the way to keep your photo image ratio is to hold down the shift key as you adjust the size of the image.
I have made a lot of slide shows over the years with OOO and have not had the pictures show up skewed, that I can remember. Usually I cause my own problem by forgetting to hold the shift key when scaling the image.
Changes to the preview happen after you move off the slide for some reason.
LibreOffice-5 - OOo-4.1.2 - Debian (Stable and Testing) - Ubuntu 16.04 - CentOS 6 - FreeBSD - OpenSolaris-11
saphil
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:30 am

If you are making a presentation which is largely a slideshow, you may care to look at the extensions repository. There are a number of extensions to make a photoalbum. This search will find them for you
photoalbums
Perhaps making a photoalbum using one of these will do the donkeywork and you can later annotate the generated slides as you wish.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby freedda » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:47 am

saphil wrote: ... the way to keep your photo image ratio is to hold down the shift key as you adjust the size of the image.

I get that, but it seems the image got skewed when I first inserted it, not when I subsequently edited it?
freedda

Return to Impress