Impress to PowerPoint Conversion Problems

Discuss the presentation application

Impress to PowerPoint Conversion Problems

Postby happilymambox » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Using OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10.0, whenever I save my Impress file as a PowerPoint file, all the arrowheads get converted to tiny little solid-regular-triangle arrowheads. I originally saved them in Impress using an arrow style of "Arrow" and a width of .15", but after saving the PowerPoint file, and re-opening it with Impress, the arrowheads always revert back to being tiny little solid-regular-triangles. I don't have Microsoft Office, so I have no idea what they look like in PowerPoint, but I assume they will be too small in PowerPoint if Impress shows them that way.

I also have problems making subscript and superscript characters survive the translation process from Impress format to PowerPoint format - the subscript and superscript characters end up in the PowerPoint version being as large as the characters they are subscripting or superscripting. The subscript/superscript characters created with the Math Formula editor are not affected - just the ones created using Character Properties end up too large.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Microsoft Windows 10.0
happilymambox

Re: Impress to PowerPoint Conversion Problems

Postby Mr.Dandy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:37 pm

If you export it in .ppt format, you can lose specific shapes or animation effects.
Because the export filter was secret and have been made by reverse engineering, it was not 100% compatible.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 - Windows 7
Mr.Dandy

Postby happilymambox » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I only use the "Save As" feature and choose the ".ppt" format from the drop-down selection list for saving the document in PowerPoint format. Will this still use the export filter?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Microsoft Windows 10.0
happilymambox

Postby RoryOF » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes, and you get a warning that certain elements may not be transferable.

If you insist on 100% powerpoint compatability, you must use Powerpoint, and even at that I have seen (recently) a presentation prepared on Windows/Powerpoint fail when shown on a different Windows//Powerpoint computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby happilymambox » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks, RoryOF.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Microsoft Windows 10.0
happilymambox

Return to Impress