Impress permanently locks files after creating - read-only

Discuss the presentation application

Impress permanently locks files after creating - read-only

Postby martinu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:00 pm

I see that people reported this bug a few years ago with earlier (eg V3.x.x) OpenOffice but I've not seen any answer or resolution - I did check for that before posting my question.

Using OpenOffice 4.1.1 Impress, if I create a brand new spreadsheet and save it as .ppt, then close Impress, reopen it and try to open the ppt file, I consistently get "File has been locked and can only be opened read-only or as a copy". This happens with an explict error message if I use the Presentation Wizard or silently (just "read-only" in window's title bar) if I bypass the wizard and do a File | Open.

This is both on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.1. There are no lock files in the same folder as the ppt file (some responses to earlier bug reports suggested checking and removing for these) and even rebooting the PC does not free up the lock. The file attributes (right-click on file in Windows Explorer | Properties) do not show that the ppt file has been set to read-only.

If Windows explorer is used to make a copy of a locked file in the same folder, it can be opened - once - but as soon as Impress is closed, even without re-saving the ppt file, it can no longer be re-opened because of the read-only restriction.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Win7
martinu

Re: Impress permanently locks files after creating - read-on

Postby RoryOF » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:44 pm

If you Save a file in .odp format, is it readonly when you reopen it? If you create a .ppt file, can you see the lock file when it is open before it is saved??
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby martinu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:03 pm

RoryOF wrote:If you Save a file in .odp format, is it readonly when you reopen it? If you create a .ppt file, can you see the lock file when it is open before it is saved??

1. Created brand new presentation. Saved as odp. Impress is still open. There is a file .~lock.Untitled 2.odp# which disappears when Impress is closed.

2. Created brand new presentation. Saved as ppt. Impress is still open. There is a file .~lock.Untitled 2.ppt# which disappears when Impress is closed.

3. Now opened Impress (which started the wizard) and opened odp file fine. But both lock files were created when only the odp was opened, and only the odp one disappeared after Impress was closed.

4. Manually deleted ppt lock file, then started Impress, but still could not open ppt (only odp).

Oh, forgot to say earlier, I have tried renaming the profile "user" to "user.old". Doing so allowed me to open ppt that would not previously open, but only once. Having opened it (which created new profile) and then closed Impress, I could not open file a second time.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Win7
martinu

Postby martinu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Further testing has shown several cases of two lock files being created when I open one ppt file - one lock file for the ppt I've opened and another for another random ppt that I've not opened but was listed in the "open existing file" list.

Also, after closing Impress (and confirming that the simpress.exe process had disappeared from Task Manager) I was unable to rename an exising ppt file (to give it a different root name so I could distinguish it from the odb file: I was expecting the wizard to show the file suffix to let me distinguish!). I got a "file is open in Impress" error. I had to kill off a couple of soffice.exe processes to let me rename the file.

Looks as if there's a real mess! Files being locked or held open after the application is closed.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Win7
martinu

Return to Impress