Notes View: Is this a navigation bug?

Discuss the presentation application

Notes View: Is this a navigation bug?

Postby LLM » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:29 pm

I run this version of OO under Mac OS 10.9.5:
AOO411m6(Build:9775) - Rev. 1617669
2014-08-13 09:05:42 (Wed, 13 Aug 2014)

My latest presentation document runs to 41 slides with a document size of 110.5Mb. I have encountered the following problems with editing the text in Notes View and can not find a reference to it either in the online program documentation, nor as an issue in this user forum, though there do appear to be problems with the Slide Sorter and I wonder if there is a link between some of the coding.

In Notes View, the screen is split into a navigation pane of slide thumbnails on the left and a screen split top/bottom on the right showing (top) the active slide and (bottom) a text box for entering notes. All works normally until it is necessary to scroll down more than 1 screenful of slide thumbnails. At this point, if text is entered or edited in the right-hand text pane, when a subsequent thumbnail is selected, all views revert to the first slide. The result is it becomes necessary to scroll again to the working point, recheck the previous slide, making sure to make no edits to the text, and then move on. Irritating in the extreme and very time-consuming.

Is this a bug? There may be a small workaround by jumping between Slide Sorter view, to navigate, and then reverting to Notes View, but this is inelegant to say the least. Can anyone help?

With thanks to all,
Open Office 4.1.1 on Mac OS 10.9.5
LLM

Re: Notes View: Is this a navigation bug?

Postby RoryOF » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 pm

You can use the Navigator to move to next/Previous or slide N. If you move to next/previous slide you stay in Note mode, if you move to slide N it puts you in Normal (i.e. full slide edit) mode so you have to click the Notes tab to get back to Notes entering

Before presentation, you should consider /Tools /Minimise Presentation to reduce file size.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby LLM » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:28 am

RoryOF wrote:You can use the Navigator to move to next/Previous or slide N. If you move to next/previous slide you stay in Note mode, if you move to slide N it puts you in Normal (i.e. full slide edit) mode so you have to click the Notes tab to get back to Notes entering

Before presentation, you should consider /Tools /Minimise Presentation to reduce file size.

Many thanks for the rapid response and guidance. The Navigator pane does help somewhat, although my version seems to offer no ability to move to a specific slide: I can only step through the presentation individually or straight to beginning/end. If I double-click on a slide number, the program jumps out of Notes View and reverts to standard view at Slide 1 – not too helpful. And of course I still need to keep the Notes View thumbnail pane open in order to have a visual of all the slides, since that is not available in the Navigator window. So, on balance the Navigator does offer a workaround that is useful and saves time, if not an entirely slick solution. I would have expected to navigate directly in Notes View using the thumbnail pane – otherwise why have it there at all?

Your guidance on minimising the presentation data size has worked well and dramatically reduced my presentation by 75% without too great a loss of detail on the images which are the main subject matter. I am hopeful that when the resulting .odp file is converted to a .ppt there won't be any unexpected consequences.

Best regards
LLM

Postby RoryOF » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:44 am

LLM wrote: The Navigator pane does help somewhat, although my version seems to offer no ability to move to a specific slide: I can only step through the presentation individually or straight to beginning/end. If I double-click on a slide number, the program jumps out of Notes View and reverts to standard view at Slide 1 – not too helpful.s

On my system running Xubuntu I jump to the specified slide in Standard view. This may be a difference between the Mac implementation and the linux implementation.

With regard to Minimise Presentation, my usual practise is to build the presentation using fairly high definition images (normal projector is 1024x768, but currently changing to 1920x1080) so there is no reason for most purposes to exceed the 1920 resolution in your inserted images. If you know the resolution of the output projector (I usually use my own), you can minimise presentation when finished to suit that.

If you have access to a computer running MS Office, it is good to run through your ppt version privately to check all is OK. Different fonts on the preparation computer and on the display computer can cause problems, as can fancy transitions. I always use my own laptop to present, running OpenOffice and having checked the presentation (always in .odp format) on that laptop privately. One advantage of presenting from my own laptop is that I have Presenter Console to display my notes. If you are intending to use your own laptop and Presenter console, work out the settings privately (any old monitor can act as a pseudo projector) and note the settings on a sticky label stuck to the laptop. Do not leave this until you are in front of an audience!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby acknak » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:55 pm

There is an issue open for this:
Issue 125013: After entering speaker notes on one slide, clicking on next slide in left pane scrolls back to first or second slide in the presentation.
You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby LLM » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks to both for helpful suggestions and info. I see it is already logged on Bugzilla with 9 existing confirmations including my spec, so no real need to add further unless volume of reponses is important (?) Will await fix. Hopefully.

Regards
LLM

Postby acknak » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Just for reference, I don't see this problem with the current version of LibreOffice. If it's a big problem for you, you may want to try LO.

I think LO either never had the problem (problem came after the fork) or they have fixed it already.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby RoryOF » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:36 pm

It may be Mac specific, Villeroy, or at least worse on the Mac than on the same version of OO on other operating systems.
RoryOF

Return to Impress