[Solved] Cannot edit an existing file in OpenOffice Impress

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] Cannot edit an existing file in OpenOffice Impress

Postby epv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I created a presentation in OpenOffice Impress and now after re-opening it, I cannot see the large edit slide (to the right of the slide selection) and I can't edit anything (same thing with other files also). It seems as though the file is locked. Also, the screen looks a bit different than before, the slides used to be on a long window to the left of my screen with the selected slide shown in the main window. Now that separate window is gone and all of my slides are in a stack on the left side of my screen but I cannot select a slide for editing, cannot scroll up or down, etc. I am using version 4.1.1 and my OS is Windows 7 Pro.
Last edited by epv on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1
Win 7 Pro
epv

Re: Cannot edit an existing file in OpenOffice Impress 4.1.

Postby RoryOF » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Restart your computer. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd suggest deleting or renaming your user profile. Doing this sorts out a very large proportion [read: most] of peculiar OpenOffice problems. Details of how to do this are given in
[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Cannot edit an existing file in OpenOffice Impress 4.1.1

Postby epv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:41 pm

RoryOF - I have re-booted several times and I took a loo at the tutorial you linked to. t is in French and the screens a different from mine so I am afraid to go any further for fear of making the problem worse. I did un-install the program and then downloaded it again but still no luck. I have the same version loaded on my laptop (the problem is with my desktop version) and everything is fine there and checked to make sure all my screen and toolbar settings are the same (they appear to be) but still no luck. I also see a couple of extra windows at the top of the screen that I don't know how to get rid of. I have attached a screen shot.
Attachments
OpenOffice screen shot 04.14.15.zip
(98.28 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Open Office 4.1
Win 7 Pro
epv

Postby RoryOF » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:46 pm

The link I gave is definitely to the English version - I've just checked. Turn off the top window by /Tools /Gallery.

No amount of un/re-installing affects the user profile; it must be explictily deleted as set out in the tutorial I linked.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby epv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Rory - Yes, the text is in English but the screen shots are in French. I tried to follow along as best as I could but hit a wall when trying to find the correct user file, my list is different (see attachment). I also tried to turn off the Galery button but it does nothing on my desktop version (laptop OK), something is definitely wrong.
Attachments
Explorer screen shot 04.17.15.JPG
Open Office 4.1
Win 7 Pro
epv

Postby FJCC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:04 pm

You are showing the Users\Default folder. There is probably another folder in the Users directory for your specific user name on the computer. Look in that one for the appropriate AppData folder.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby epv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 pm

FJCC - I found the file in My Computer and made the changes per the tutorial, everything is back to normal. Thanks to you both for your help. :bravo:
Open Office 4.1
Win 7 Pro
epv

Re: [Solved] Cannot edit an existing file in OpenOffice Impr

Postby martinu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:26 pm

I have experienced exactly the same symptoms and unfortunately removing the profile did not solve the problem for me - or at least, not permanently.

This is on Win 7 and OO 4.1.1. I created a brand new file and saved it as ppt. I got a "file locked; open read-only or open as copy" message.

I renamed the profile (the folder C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice.org\3\user") and opened Impress: this created a new folder User. I was able to open the ppt file that had previously been locked - but only once! When I then closed Impress, restarted it and tried again to open the ppt, I got the "locked" message.

Any suggestions? I've also seen it on a customer's PC - Win 8.1 and OO 4.1.1 - which is what prompted me to check on my own system.

This is for a ppt saved in the default C:\Users\Martin\Documents folder, not on a remote network drive. I have established that there are no lock files in the folder and that the file is not read-only in Windows Explorer, right-click on file | Properties.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Win7
martinu

Return to Impress