[Solved] Adding music to slideshow simply does not work!

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] Adding music to slideshow simply does not work!

Postby marketstall » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello, I'm new here but before you ask - YES, I've read a bunch of threads on here that have already asked questions about getting music into a slideshow, and NO none of them answer to the problem I'm having, so please forgive this new thread on an old topic!

My problem is that I can't get Impress to make any kind of sound at all. I've tried adding music via the "Insert > Movie and Sound" route and via the Slide Transition panel too and I get nothing. I'm trying to get some song clips to play with my slides but just to test out the basics I even tried to add a couple of the preset sounds (e.g. "apert") - they don't work either, not a sound!

So something's obviously wrong. It's not my computer - it's playing all my audio files just fine in all the different kinds of formats, DAWs and media players I use so it MUST be OO/Impress, right?

Help please!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.9.5
marketstall

Re: Adding music to Impress slideshow simply does not work!

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Which type of audio file have you embedded your impress document?
Do you work in native ODF format? (.odp)
Can you upload a small example odp file here with embedded audio data?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.1; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby floris v » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Works for me.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby RoryOF » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:08 pm

I can't answer for definite about a Mac, but I am aware that on some platforms Impress is sensitive to the file type of the sound or video to be played. I suggest experimenting with some other file types.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby marketstall » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:20 pm

To the respondees so far:

- I've tried various file types including MP3s and WAVs. Nothing works. Not even the sounds built in to Impress play. Just silence.
- Yes I work in native ODF format
- No I can't upload an example here with embedded audio data because that's exactly the problem - I can't get ANY audio into the slide show!

Thanks for trying to help chaps but nothing here's the fix ... anyone else got some advice?
marketstall

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 pm

No I can't upload an example here with embedded audio data because that's exactly the problem - I can't get ANY audio into the slide show!

Can you find the audio file in the when you unzip the document archive after you renamed it from .odp to .zip extension?

An interesting thing:
My AOO4.1.1 have not embedded the inserted mp3 type audio file, but my LibreOffice4.3.6 have embedded it (the file size is increased, and i can find the audio file in the archive). I am using the office suites on Win7 64 bit prof.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby marketstall » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi ziz64
Not sure what you're talking about here ... I hadn't renamed the file from .odp to .zip before now. Seeing as you mentioned it I just tried and there was nothing more when I undid the zip than the .odp file I put in there in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something about what you mean?
Also, as you can see from my "signature" here, I'm working on a mac rather than a Windows PC so whatever option you're suggesting at the end there is probably not gonna work for me!
marketstall

Postby Zizi64 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Not sure what you're talking about here ... I hadn't renamed the file from .odp to .zip before now.

The ODF file formats (in this case: .odp) are zip archives. Inside the archives are directories and files.
In the directory named 'media' there was the embedded audio file in my Impress file created with Libreoffice.
But there is not, when I created an impress file with my Apache OpenOffice.
The question is: The openoffice can not embed the audio file, but linked it only? In this case maybe it as a linking problem in your environment...
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:00 am

Try this one screen presentation - it works on OO on Xubuntu

Edit: my sample file does not work on strange computers, as the sound is not embedded, although I had thought it was. See later discussion in this thread. 
Attachments
Cigareets and Whuskey.odp
(13.14 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby floris v » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:02 am

Nothing, Rory. Sound: No sound.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 am

Working perfectly on Xubuntu - I've opened and closed it several times, even on fresh starts of OO. The sound is mp3.

Edit: I may be wrong - the download was supposed to be mp3. VLC says it is MPEG AAC Audi, mp4a. I don't do many sound downloads. The sound file (before insertion into Impress) will play on VLC and on gmusicbrowser. 
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:13 am

RoryOF, the size of your attached file is 13456 bytes, and neither soundfile, nor media directory is in it.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:24 am

OK, thanks floris v and Zizi64. Now I examine it, I understand that the file is definitely linked to its original location on my computer, but the /Edit /Links option is not showing it as linked. I cannot find any way to make it embed, and yet I'm not getting any information to say that it is linked.
RoryOF

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 am

A quick forum search tells me that Impress does not embed the media files. I came across one of my posts suggesting that one should make a dedicated directory for a presentation, including the .odp file and all the media files, and ship this to the remote computer where the presentation is to be shown. I'll try it tomorrow and upload - I'm too tired to do it now.
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:48 am

Strange thing again:

My AOO4.1.1 can not play the mp3 file embedded into the Impress file by my LibreOffice4.3.6, but my LO can play it:

Snoring.odp
(104.21 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

This file is embedded:
3725.mp3
(85.33 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:26 am

I think that is logical, Tibor. If OO does nor know about embedding media files (as it doesn't), then it is unlikely to have the links to extract them. Are we seeing the first divergence of LibO and OO files?

Did earlier versions of OO/Starwriter (2.x and 3.x) embed media? My distant memory is that they might have but I have no unrevised Presentation from those eras to try.
RoryOF

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:19 pm

OK! At last here is an example. Attached is file Compressed_folder.zip. From it extract Test_Impress_folder and place this folder anywhere on your computer. Run Snoring_test.odp which is in it. This should play file 3725.mp3 contained in that folder. I've tested this on various locations on my Xubuntu and Windows computers and it works. From memory, a similar procedure may work with video files. One needs to move the whole containing folder to a presentation laptop or any other computer on which the presentation is required.

To make such a container file one needs, in OpenOffice, to set
/Tools /Options /Load-Save /General to use relative file paths (two checkboxes to check). Note that Options is under Preferences on a Mac.
Attachments
Compressed_folder.zip
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
RoryOF

Postby marketstall » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:24 pm

This is an interesting tangent folks but it's not helping me get to the bottom of the problem I reported in the original post - it wasn't that sometimes Impress would embed files and sometimes it would recognise a file by looking for it in its original location. Either one of these would be fine be me but NEITHER of them work! I can't embed an audio file OR get Impress to play a file that sits elsewhere on my computer. Nothing works!

In case it helps, I've opened your example RoryOF and this also does not work. I see the .odp file and the mp3 file. The mp3 file plays directly when I preview it in Finder but when I open up the .odp file nothing is there ...

I tried to upload a screen shot but I guess this forum doesn't allow it, so I'll describe what I see: instead of a media player or play button or even just hearing the snoring sound play automatically, I just get a big grey "?" box with the MP3 file name written underneath it.

Are there any mac users on here experiencing the same problem? Not that I don't appreciate your help guys but everyone who's replied so far seems to be running the programme on Windows or Xubuntu. It would be great to hear from another mac user and hear their experience!
marketstall

Postby marketstall » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Reviving this old chestnut ...
As you can see I was posting about this problem back in March. Then, in April, everything suddenly started working - no problems importing audio files, no problems with compatibility or "unsupported" file types (this application is supposed to support MP3 files, right?)
Anyway everything has been working fine for months and then today for the first time since April the old problem is back.
I'm doing nothing different to what I've been doing to successfully upload music into a slideshow presentation for six months now. No change of OS or anything like that either.
So what's going on?! Any ideas anybody? All help greatly appreciated as always.
Mark
marketstall

Postby marketstall » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:54 pm

JUST SOLVED MY OWN PROBLEM IN RECORD TIME!
For anyone else experiencing similar difficulties - it seems like Impress hates special characters in your file names. Mine contained a "#", but when I renamed the file without this symbol in it I was able to upload the file just fine.
marketstall

Re: [Solved] Adding music to slideshow simply does not work!

Postby DrGuenter » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Today, I faced the very same problem - Impress obviously hates "#" in the audiofilename.

Embedding of mp3 audio files works fine, unless there is a "#" in the filename,

like "01-Praeludium F# Major (Bwv 882)_Auszug.mp3",

Impress issues the errormessage
"The format of the selected file is not supported"
or - in my case - the localized german
"Das Format der ausgewählten Datei wird nicht unterstützt".

Thanks for your guidance - removing the sharp of the filename resolved the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.0 Windooz 8.1 or OpenSuse
DrGuenter

Re: [Solved] Adding music to slideshow simply does not work!

Postby RoryOF » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:28 pm

It is possible that OpenOffice's expectations for filenames is old fashioned, and that they need to be 96 character ASCII. This may be because of the use of an 0ldfashioned library.
RoryOF

Return to Impress