Images missing in Impress presentation

Discuss the presentation application

Images missing in Impress presentation

Postby jacinda s » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 am

new at this!!
I am creating a presentation. I have an out line and am inserting pictures in a blank slide between the outline. I have lost some pictures and all that is left is an icon of 3 squares and 3 dots in the corner of the slides. I have about 93 slices. Some with text, some with pictures and a few with both. What did I do and how do I get my pictures back?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
ooo3, windows7
jacinda s

Re: impress

Postby acknak » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:53 pm

First, check under Edit > Links and see if anything is listed there. Depending on exactly how you inserted the images, they could be only links to images files stored somewhere on the Internet. If those remote links are not working for some reason, then OOo can't access the image data and the image can't be displayed.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: Images missing in Impress presentation

Postby wizardbj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 am

Same here! After hours and hours of work! 20 images out of about 100 just plain missing, though their "imprint" is there. No indication at all where they came from.

It has nothing to do with Edit/Links. That option isn't even active. Every single image in the presentation was imported with "Insert/Picture/From File...", no differences with importing any image. All images living local to the .odp file, and still exist. No edits to those files.

Going through and trying to reinstate them. Of course, all automation lost when re-importing. What a piece of garbage.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Win7-UltN
wizardbj

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 am

Make a copy of the file, rename it as .zip and check in the /pictures folder if you find the missing pics. If so, then the content.xml file may have been damaged.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby trusktr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 am

It's 7 years later and libreoffice still has this same problem. Doh.
bettafootwear.com - OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Arch Linux
trusktr

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:26 am

This bug has been handled in AOO 4.1.1 it seems. Not completely sure it's the same root cause but worth a try when it comes out.
Hagar Delest

Postby RLeB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm

July 23, 2014
I have Open Office 4.1.0 and I discovered the same problem of missing images in a presentation I was trying to make. I was mostly copying and pasting the images into each "slide". It seemed to be working fine, but when I got down to about 75 images, suddenly some of the earlier images didn't show up. I redid the entire presentation, saving the file after adding five or six slides. Then suddenly, after a save, I noticed that about half of my earlier slide images no longer showed up.

I have wasted at least four hours with this thing, and I won't waste more. Until I learn that someone has really identified the cause of this problem and fixed it, I shall not try to create any presentations with this tool. It has a show stopper bug as far as I am concerned.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 - Rev. 1589052
Windows 7 (64)
RLeB

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Had you manually saved while working?
Hagar Delest

Postby RLeB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:04 am

Yes. As I said, I saved after about each five or six slides added. In fact, right after my last save (with around 75 slides) it suddenly lost about half the images. The images were all JPEG files pasted into each slide. During my first pass at this, OO was doing automatic saves every 15 minutes. When that went awry with a bunch of lost images I started over with automatic save turned off. Instead I manually saved after each group of five or six, but the same thing happened when I got up to around 75 slides.
Windows 7 (64)
RLeB

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am

Sorry, had read too quickly your post.
Perhaps AOO needs to be closed after save in fact.
It may be worth installing 4.1.1 since it is supposed to have fixed it. It should be almost a production version.
See: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... hot+Builds
Hagar Delest

Postby RLeB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have begun redoing this slide show using AVS Video Editor, which has MANY more features for the type of presentation I need for this project. I'll wait until the official OO 4.1.1 release, and then I'll experiment to see if this particular problem has been resolved.
Windows 7 (64)
RLeB

Postby oddjobber4u » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Using OO 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1.
Even after using a presentation, some pictures have disappeared. Sometimes they can be replaced. Sometimes pictures are lost when copied to a flash drive.
I am like wizardbj, all the images were copied and pasted from a file.
Any solutions?
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
oddjobber4u

Postby Jintram » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Using LibreOffice Impress Version: 4.1.4.2, Build ID: 0a0440ccc0227ad9829de5f46be37cfb6edcf7, windows 7.

Copying presentation and renaming it results in missing images. The thumbnails in the overview are still there, but the slide itself shows the empty "..." images.
The original version still shows the images.

I really like libreoffice, but this makes it hard to keep using it ...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 10
Jintram

Postby acknak » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:51 pm

This sounds like you created the presentation using "linked" images. In that case, the image data is not embedded in the presentation document, but remains in the original files, external to the presentation. If you need a copy of such a presentation, you need to copy all the image files along with the presentation and install them all in the same (relative) locations in the target computer.

Alternatively, you can have Impress embed the images by: Edit > Links ... Break link.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby RoryOF » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:59 pm

When I need to do that, I make a dedicated directory for the presentation and put all files for the presentation into that directory, including any images I link to. Then, if I need to copy the presentation (say to a laptop for actual presentation) I simply transfer the entire folder. With modern disk drive sizes the extra disk space consumed by having a master copy of a linked file in my library and a local copy in the dedicated directory for the presentation is not usually a concern.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Jintram » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm

acknak wrote:This sounds like you created the presentation using "linked" images. In that case, the image data is not embedded in the presentation document, but remains in the original files, external to the presentation. If you need a copy of such a presentation, you need to copy all the image files along with the presentation and install them all in the same (relative) locations in the target computer.

Alternatively, you can have Impress embed the images by: Edit > Links ... Break link.

Thanks a load for your swift suggestion!

However, both the copied version of the presentation and the original version of the file are in the same directory. The original version still shows images, so if there were links, they seem fine (?).
Also, the "edit > links" option is greyed out; so to me it seems the linking is not the problem. (I think I dragged most images into the presentation from their folders or copied them from a selection in an image editor.)

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did, and I fail to reproduce the problem.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 10
Jintram

Postby RoryOF » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:13 pm

A useful tip is to use /Tools/Minimise Presentation to make a presentation copy of the file. This will automatically break the links and embed the images. It will also dramatically reduce the presentation file size with no loss of quality. This gives quicker loading and execution.

Edit: If you are really using OO 3.1, this is an extension you need to add on. In OO4.1.2 it is inbuilt. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Impress