[Solved+Issue] Bullets quit working!!!

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved+Issue] Bullets quit working!!!

Postby JimA » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:43 am

Background: I am a software developer, I am certified in all of Microsoft Office, Oracle, etc., and I have used Open Office for many years. I periodically have a strange problem and it is occurring now, please help.

I create a new presentation in Impress, and enter slides, no problems. My slides are very simple with no graphics and only one level of ident. For no apparent reason the bullets "just quit working". By this I mean the Bullets On/Off button will no longer toggle the bullet style, and manually forcing bullets by selecting Formats/Bullets and Numbering=>Select a bullet style does create the bullets style for that line, but the spacing between the bullet and the beginning of text is wrong. Once this problem occurs the entire presentation becomes useless because the same problem then occurs on any slide that is modified. I am saving in ODP filetype.

I attached a file in which I deleted all the slides except one. On the one page, try and cause the first line of text to be bulleted... it is not happening.

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
test.odp
(14.71 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
JimA

Re: Bullets quit working!!!

Postby acknak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 am

Somehow, you have actually configured the top outline level not to show any bullet.

Here's one way to fix it:

1) View > Master > Slide Master
2) Click in the top level of the sample outline
3) Format > Bullets & Numbering
___Customize tab: select level one
___Bullets tab: select a bullet
___Position tab: select level one; set "Width of numbering" to some non-zero value
___OK

The sample outline should now show a bullet for the top level. Repeat step 3 until it looks the way you want.

4) Close master view
5) Select the first item in your sample slide
6) Format > Default formatting

You should now see a bullet on the first item.

Put the cursor at the start of the second item "And the bullets...". Press backspace then Enter. The second item should now have a bullet.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: [Solved] Bullets quit working!!!

Postby JimA » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:58 am

Thanks acknak! For the record, "I" didn't configure the slide master at all, this is a bug and I have seen it in more than one version of OO. However, your solution is absolutely correct and I thank you.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
JimA

Postby acknak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:47 am

Sorry. I can only guess how the bullet configuration might have gotten into that state; I didn't mean to imply that it was your fault.

The outline text on the slide matches what the configuration specifies, so I don't see where there's a bug.

Maybe there's a bug that causes the outline configuration to change, but some specific set of steps that triggers the change would be needed before anything can be done about it.
acknak

Postby andrew_c » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 pm

I am also having this problem. Basically the bullets disappear when a new slide is inserted. Also applying the slide master does not seem to work properly when slides have already been added.

The fix does work but takes a lot of time. This is definitely a bug.

To have to correct the bullets each time a new presentation is started is counter-productive and a waste of time. If is a default outline format with bullets, as it seems there are (a good format too), they should be applied to all the slides not just the first one.

Please fix this. I have had this problem with a number of version of Impress.
Openoffice 3.2.1, Suse 10.2
andrew_c

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 pm

andrew_c wrote:Please fix this. I have had this problem with a number of version of Impress.

Then file a report, we are just users like you: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.
LibreOffice 7.0.5 on Xubuntu 21.04 and 7.0.5 portable on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Postby acknak » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 am

Sorry, but I'm not convinced there is an actual bug to be fixed.

Can you attach a sample file that shows the problem?

Also, have you tried the OO.org download compared to the SuSE build of OOo? The Novell builds provided with SuSE exhibit many problems that are not found in the OO.org builds.
acknak

Postby andrew_c » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Further information about the problem. The problem with the bullet formatting arises when I save the presenation as a Powerpoint file. Saving as an ODP file retains the bullet formatting but saving and retrieving the file as a Powerpoint presentation.

It seems the powerpoint import function is not retrieving the bullet formatting.

Andrew
Openoffice 3.2.1, Suse 10.2
andrew_c

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Remember that .ppt has been reverse engineered because until recently, the file format specification were not available! Hence such flaws. That's why it's important to work with a true open and documented format like ODF.
LibreOffice 7.0.5 on Xubuntu 21.04 and 7.0.5 portable on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Postby dbooth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 pm

This bug had been reported at http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=93037. Please vote there for it to be fixed.
OpenOffice 3.2 / Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
dbooth

Re: [Workaround] Bullets quit working!!!

Postby dbooth » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:32 pm

I have been unable to get acknak's workaround to work for me. So . . .

Alternate workaround: This problem seems to be related to the fact that the presentation is saved in .ppt format. The problem seems to go away if the presentation is saved in the OpenOffice .odp format. Therefore, as a workaround I now use .odp format for all editing of the presentation (as the master version), and only create a .ppt version (via "Save as") as a temporary snapshot if I need to send a copy to someone else who doesn't have OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 3.2 / Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
dbooth

Re: [Workaround] Bullets quit working!!!

Postby RoryOF » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:46 pm

dbooth wrote:Therefore, as a workaround I now use .odp format for all editing of the presentation (as the master version), and only create a .ppt version (via "Save as") as a temporary snapshot if I need to send a copy to someone else who doesn't have OpenOffice.

This is standard Forum advice for working in OpenOffice. Always keep the master copy in OpenOffice's native format, and save out to the exchange format only when necessary.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Xubuntu 20.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Impress