Como apuntarse al Apache Incubator Wiki OpenOfficeProposal

Para discutir temas generales, incluso si no tienen que ver directamente con Apache OpenOffice
Responder
mriosv

Como apuntarse al Apache Incubator Wiki OpenOfficeProposal

Mensaje por mriosv »

Por si fuera de interés para algún forero.
Adjunto copia de email de las lista de TDF (LIbreOffice), que informa como unirse en la primera fase de la inclusión de OOo en ASF, (Apache Sofware Foundation), pues la donación del OOo por Oracle, debe seguir ciertos pasos para la inclusión como proyecto en Apache.
Según se explica en el email, es posible unirse en esta fase como "Initial Committers", sin necesidad de demostrar los méritos. Lo cuál si no interpreto mal podría permitir tener algo de voz en el futuro, en el proyecto.
Saludos a todos.
""
-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto: [tdf-discuss] Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice
Fecha: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 22:06:26 -0400
De: Allen Pulsifer <pulsifer@openoffice.org>
Responder-a:: discuss@documentfoundation.org
A: <LibreOffice@lists.freedesktop.org>, <discuss@documentfoundation.org>

Greetings All,

Some of you will remember me as a long time member of the OpenOffice.org community. In fact, back in the day, it was sometimes just myself and
Michael Meeks who were openly complaining on the OOo mailing list about Sun's handling of the "community" :-)

I'm writing today about what is going on over at the Apache project. When I heard Oracle was donating the OpenOffice code to the Apache project, I
headed over there to see what was going on. I offer this brief report to bring everyone up to speed:

- According to officers of the Apache Software Foundation, Oracle donated OpenOffice to the ASF by executing the ASF's standard copyright grant. This
grant allows the ASF to release the OpenOffice code under the Apache License.

- The ASF however has a process to accept a project. The OpenOffice project is now in the proposal stage. If accepted, it will join the Apache
Incubator and become a "podling", which is basically a project-in-development. During the podling stage, the project would be expected to complete the steps needed to become a full ASF project. Among other requirements, the podling project has to review the copyright history of all code to ensure it has a clean "title" and is or can be licensed under the Apache License. If it completes that process, it then becomes a full Apache project. See https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/ent ... che_what_s

- While the code donation was made by Oracle, the primary champion in the effort to get the code accepted as is Apache Project is IBM. Let's have no
illusions or delusions about this. IBM has a self-interested motive in championing this project. Basically, IBM would like to setup a community where both it and other contributors make contributions under the Apache License, and then IBM would take some or all of those contributions and use them in its proprietary products which includes for example IBM Lotus Symphony. The Apache License specifically allows this. In fact, the Apache License allows anyone to take the code and use it in their own project, open source or closed source. In the Apache world, that is considered a feature not a bug. The ASF would like to see as many people using the code as possible, and for that reason, their license is as liberal as possible, allowing anyone to use the code. That is exactly the reason that IBM is championing this as an Apache Project, rather than a LGPL project.

And that brings me (almost) to the point of this email. Any code contributed to the Apache OpenOffice project could be used by anyone, including The Document Foundation, which can take the code, integrate it into LibreOffice, and release it under the LGPL. Sounds like a good deal, huh?

Here's the rub. IBM, as I mentioned, is doing this for self-interested reasons. I would like to propose the members of LibreOffice community get involved in this for similarly self-interested reasons.

I understand there are some bad feelings toward IBM. Basically, there is the perception that IBM has been taking OpenOffice code all of these years and contributing little back to the OpenOffice community. That is probably true. As far as I can see, IBM has at least been taking much more than it has given back. I'm not sure that can continue though, because as the champion of the proposed Apache OpenOffice project, IBM is going to have to contribute.

So you might say though, why not just sit back, let IBM make contributions to Apache OpenOffice, and then we'll just cherry pick what we want for LibreOffice. Well that would certainly work, but I don't think it would work as well as getting involved.

There is also another player in this, and that is the Apache Software Foundation. The ASF is an honorable organization with a long track record in open source and they are dedicated to fostering a community. In the ASF, anyone can contribute. Contributions and participation are made by individuals, not by or on behalf of companies or organizations. The community determines the direction of the project. Membership in the community is based on merit, which is measured not just by code contributions, but by anything that supports the project, which could also include documentation, testing, bug reports, etc.

So while the LibreOffice could just sit back and cherry-pick the project, if its members get involved, they can help determine the direction of the project, ensuring that the project direction and design decision are compatible with LibreOffice and have the maximum value to LibreOffice. The ASF has no problems with this--in fact, they encourage it. Just as IBM is getting involved in an Apache OpenOffice project because they want to use the code in their products, the ASF will welcome TDF members getting involved for the same self-interested reason, to use the code in LibreOffice.

Critically, at this stage in the process, everyone has a "free pass" to get involved. Normally, once the project is up and running, you would have to demonstrate your merit before you can join the project. But for the next few days, while the project is in the proposal stage, the gates are wide open--anyone can join as an initial member.

So here is my suggestion: I propose the everyone here head over to the Apache Incubator and join the proposal as an initial member. To do that, simply:

1. Go to http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal
2. Click "Login" at the top.
3. Follow the directions to create an account.
4. After your account is setup, go back to
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal and if you still see "Login" at the top of the page, click on it and login using the account you just created.
5. Go back to http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal and click "Edit (GUI)".
6. Scroll down to the "Initial Committers" table, right-click on the last row, select Row -> Insert After, then add you name to the table. Note: the "Initial Committers" are the initial project members. While "Committers" imply code contributors, it is not just limited to that--anyone can be a committer.
7. In the Comment field at the bottom of the page (below the text editor), enter "added self to Initial Committers", then click "Save Changes" above the text editor.
8. Check the page to make sure your name appears.

That's it. It does not obligate you to make any code contributions, but it will get you in on the ground floor and allow you to participate in the direction of the project. I just did it myself.

Some of you may have noticed that Greg Stein, a member of the Apache Software Foundation Board of Directors has joined this list and offered to answer any questions. Please feel free to ask him about anything that is on your mind. He would be a better person to answer, since I'm new to all this Apache stuff myself :-)

Best Regards,

Allen
""
Puedes usar "Subir adjunto" en Respuesta rápida - Editor Completo - Pestaña Subir adjunto
Apache OpenOffice 4, LibreOffice (Win10x64)
RGB-es
Contactar:

Re: Como apuntarse al Apache Incubator Wiki OpenOfficePropos

Mensaje por RGB-es »

¡Muy interesante! Esperemos que la lista de contribuidores siga creciendo.
No respondo mensajes privados sobre AOO/LibO, por favor, utilice el foro para sus preguntas

LibreOffice en openSUSE con escritorio Plasma
---
Existen dos clases de personas: las que dicen que existen dos clases de personas y las que no.
Responder