[Issue] Anti aliasing in impress

Discuss the presentation application
rhufsky

[Issue] Anti aliasing in impress

Post by rhufsky »

Hi,

I am in the happy process of migrating from MS Office to OOo 3 beta on Mac OS X. I stumbled over one thing: when creating slides I frequently use the drawing functions. However, when drawing non-rectangular shapes it turns out that lines are pretty much jagged, i.e. no anti-aliasing, which is a drawback for otherwise professionally looking presentations.

Is there any option that allows to switch on anti aliasing for shapes ? I have been searching for some time to no avail.

kind regards

Robert
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as issue.
acknak

Re: Anti aliasing in impress

Post by acknak »

No, it's not an option.

The entire graphics system of OOo is in the process of being re-engineered and re-written, and the new system will include anti-aliased graphics, but it's not available yet. I don't think it even has a release timeframe, so I'm not looking for it this year.

If you really need anitaliased output, you can export to PDF, view that, and take a screenshot.
 Edit:  
See http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... Primitives
The CWS's referred to there have estimated due dates of June and October of this year, so maybe we'll begin to see some developer releases in 2008.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
micha137

Post by micha137 »

Hi there,
a workaround might be to produce the drawings in inkscape (or export the OO-drawing to svg-format and then import into inkscape). Inkscape does antialiasing perfectly and you can export to pixelgraphics in very good quality. I have been doing this once in a while, but (for me at least)it is a little too complicated to do it on a regular basis.

regards
micha137
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good point!

I've done that too, for simple drawings. For anything at all complicated, the SVG export and transfer to Inkscape is just not exact enough: too many things change and require manual fix-up to make it worthwhile.

If you really need antialiased output, you probably want to consider simply using Inkscape from the start. I can't think of anything that Draw does better than Inkscape.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] Anti aliasing in impress

Post by AndrewZ »

Anti aliasing for drawing objects is ready in OpenOffice.org 3.1 (issue 28526). You can try it yourself now before the final release.

If you need full screen mode, then either export to PDF or try OxygenOffice 3.0. (I haven't verified that OxygenOffice has antialiasing, but I think it does.)
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP