Custom Text Border?...

Discuss the drawing application
willsbma

Custom Text Border?...

Post by willsbma »

Anyone know how to create a custom text border? It is very tedious trying to do it by hand. Thank you.
acknak

Re: Custom Text Border?...

Post by acknak »

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do? A "text border" could mean a number of different things.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

And as far as I know, creating a custom border would need to be done "by hand" o I'm not sure I understand what that means, either.

willsbma , please have a look at the Survival Guide (linked in my signature) and please describe in detail what you want to end up with and exactly what you've done so far to try to accomplish it.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
techcat

Post by techcat »

Perhaps you are looking for the same thing that I am...
I would like to wrap text around the edge of a document, creating a border of words. Is there an easy way to do this? Easier at least than creating four different text boxes and orienting the text in four different directions to make it read around the edge of the page?
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

techcat wrote:Perhaps you are looking for the same thing that I am...
I would like to wrap text around the edge of a document, creating a border of words. Is there an easy way to do this? Easier at least than creating four different text boxes and orienting the text in four different directions to make it read around the edge of the page?
No easy way that I know of in Draw (and I have searched for it). I use Inkscape when I need that effect. Would be nice to have it inside OOo, though...
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
techcat

Post by techcat »

I ended up using WordArt to create text pictures as it were and manually placing them around the edges of the document. This allowed me to run the text upside-down on the bottom edge. But it would be nice to have this layout as a text box option, which would place the entered text as a text border around the outside edges of the text box. Just sayin'...
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

techcat wrote:I ended up using WordArt to create text pictures as it were and manually placing them around the edges of the document. This allowed me to run the text upside-down on the bottom edge. But it would be nice to have this layout as a text box option, which would place the entered text as a text border around the outside edges of the text box. Just sayin'...
This being a user-to-user forum, the most we can do is agree with you. ;)

I could see this feature being useful to even more users if it could accommodate graphic items as well... so a user could create a graphical page border by inserting an image, or a combination of images and text, in this special kind of frame. It would not be a text box, but a frame. Text boxes cannot accommodate formatting.

Perhaps you'd like to suggest it as an enhancement in the IssueTracker. You'll need to register there and log in before you can post, but that only takes a moment.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
acknak

Post by acknak »

Like this?
border_text.png
border_text.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 34823 times
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's amazing, and it took you less than 24 hours. How do you find this stuff in Draw?
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I had a request for instructions on creating the curved border text shown above, so I put together a tutorial article: [Tutorial] Placing text along a curved path (Draw/Impress).

The sample Draw document attached there includes the two samples from this topic.
ricardomanrique

Post by ricardomanrique »

Dear acknak,
Thank you very much for answering my request on providing the steps to create a custom text border.
Wish you a Happy New Year.
Ricardo G. Manrique