[Issue] Printing 6.75 & 10 envelopes

Discuss the word processor
jeffrey1

[Issue] Printing 6.75 & 10 envelopes

Post by jeffrey1 »

I have searched for an answer and read and tried a number of possible solutions but none have worked.

This is whats happening.

I open Writer and go to Insert Envelope. I then pick out Format after entering Addressee - I then pick the Printer tab and select Print from the bottom and then select the picture that matched my printers Envelope format (Flap up on left side- envelope enters from the right side of printer).

I can not seem to get it to printer on the envelope. It keeps wanting to print on the left side (where there no envelope).

I even tried to print it as a PDF and still no luck.

LO 3.5 Beta 3
Windows XP
HP Deskjet 6122
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
MS Windows XP Pro and Home SP3
ljmeis

Re: Printing 6.75 & 10 envelopes

Post by ljmeis »

I am am running Mac OS X7(Lion) now but this worked with OSX 6.
To print an envelope I had to go into Apple preferences/printers/ and after choosing printer enter envelope size as paper default, then in print module again select envelope under paper handling( pull down OO menu). Envelope will then print properly. To return to letter size paper repeat but set to letter size. This is a big PITA but nothing else works.
Len
Open Office 3.1.1 on MAC OS 10.6.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Try selecting the Print at the right icon instead. This a known bug I reported years ago http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=73525
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

That is the one that should have worked for my printer.
But didn't.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
donniegoodwin

Post by donniegoodwin »

I'm on OS X 10.7.2 with a Epson printer. After upgrading to Ooo 3.3 from Ooo3.2 the orientation of the #10 envelopes defaults to the left side and the default cannot be reset. I've been using 3.2 without problems for a long time. Now this.The default just does not reset to to right vertical for the envelope feed. Unlike all the techie types here I rely on this everyday for work. In frustration my partner went back to MS Word. After seeing all these posts about envelope problems I can see that the development team doesn't care. Does anyone know haw to fix this? I will have have to change to MS too if not. I can't get work done with this problem. Please help if you can. Thanks~Donnie

E-mail removed, nobody will reply by mail and it will avoid spam bots to register your address (Hagar, Moderator).
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

I have submitted this as a bug.
But not gotten any response.
I too had to go back to Word.
Would like to use LO or OO instead of Word or MS Office.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
jallan32

Re: Printing 6.75 & 10 envelopes, same problem with Dell V31

Post by jallan32 »

My Dell V313 was printing envelope files inherited from Open Office with no problem until version 3.3 came out. I can print an envelope properly on plain letter paper, with the feed guides all the way apart for letter size, although the text prints at the left margin. However, when adjusting the guides to either #6 or #10 envelope height (width), and feeding in the envelope (or, to save envelopes, a sheet of paper folded 3 ways to envelope width), the return address prints about an inch or two off the paper and the addressee prints the first line and a half off the paper. Even though this printer feeds envelopes in the center (the left and right guides are geared together to keep the paper in the center), I have tried specifying center and right, and it makes NO DIFFERENCE. I have even tried fooling the printer by feeding a letter paper size plastic holder with a slot for the envelope, and it still does not print properly. I am currently writing envelopes BY HAND, to avoid hours of fruitless testing! :crazy:
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows 7
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

You said you used LibreOffice 3.5.0 BETA right. Perhaps its the Office Suite you are using. In Fact, the Beta version can't even open the Math program correctly, the equation editor will not open, and you can't even enter ANY equations. That's why i uninstalled it shortly after. It probably has a lot of unknown bugs. I reccomend installing LibreOffice 3.5.0 when the final version comes out. Maybe if you try making you're document in another Office suite, it could work better.

but i do agree, printing envelopes has been a pain with OpenOffice 3.3
OxygenOffice.org version 3.3 on a Windows 7 x64 based systems.
Microsoft 2010 Home & Student
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Have a great day! :)
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

Cmiller,

Please note that I had the same issue even when I installed LO 3.4.5 and OO 3.3 and the beta versions of OO.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

Very well,

Then maybe it is a all around bug. But i still insist you get the Final version of LibreOffice 3.5.0. I usually never trust beat versions, but of course its only mu opinion, you do as you wish

Good Luck, and i hope this bug gets fixed soon,

Cmiller
LibreOffice 3.6.2

jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

If you want to add to the bug list go here
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/

You can also search for other printing bugs.

Just in case if any one wants to see how it formatted in MS Word
Envelopeformat.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics embedded.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
Etaner

Post by Etaner »

I use LibreOffice 3.4.5 to make custom envelopes. Try my instructions. Hope it works, good luck!

How to Create a Custom Size Envelop to Print with HP Officejet 5780 in LibreOffice

It is important to know that each document in LibreOffice, must be saved with its own printer settings. If you want to print an envelope make sure LibreOffice Format Page and the HP Officejet Printer Settings match. The HP Officejet 5780 has only a #10 envelope to offer in the printer settings. If you remove this printer all your custom envelopes will be gone from the printer's setting. Your envelopes will still be in LibreOffice. You only need to re-do the printer setting when installing a new printer. Select to print from the bottom and then select the picture that matched the printers Envelope format (Flap up on left side- envelope enters from the right side of printer).
To prevent jams caused by the flap bunching up, tuck the flap inside the envelope before loading it into the printer. Insert one or more envelopes into the far-right side of the input tray with the envelope flaps up and on the left. Slide the stack of envelopes forward until it stops.

Create a Custom Envelope in LibreOffice:

Create a New Document.
Click on Format and select the Page Tab.

Paper format:
Format: User
Orientation: Landscape (You must click on the Orientation button before you enter the margins. If you don't it will show as Portrait. Must be a LibreOffice glitch).
Paper Tray: From Printer Settings
Width: Measure the envelopes width
Height: Measure the envelopes height

Margins:
Left: 0.50” I would like to set this to 0.25”. However, the envelope pulls through the feed too far and the return address is cut off.
Right: 0.00”
Top: 0.25”
Bottom: 0.00”

Click Apply.
You get the message 'The margin settings are out of print range. Do you still want to apply these settings?' Answer 'YES' and click OK. If you answer 'NO' your margin settings get changed.

Enter the return and delivery addresses for the envelope. Enter the delivery address where it looks good, you are on your own. Ha-ha! Click on the Page Preview button and make adjustments.

Click File, Save As and save your Custom Envelope example: Custom Envelope 7.25” x 5.25”.

Don't close the document, you have to continue with the printer setup below.

The following settings apply to your HP Officejet.

Still in the open LibreOffice document.

Click on File and select Printer Settings.

On the Printer setup box, click on the Properties button.

Click on the Features Tab. Warning! Don't ever put a check mark in the box 'Show preview before printing'. This causes the print jobs to get stuck in the query and nothing will print at all, until you clear the stuck print jobs. Also, I was unable to un-check this box in a document and had to delete it.
To reduce skewing and jamming, print envelopes at a higher quality setting so that the envelope is pulled through the unit more slowly. For example, switch from Fast mode to Normal or from Normal to Best.
Put a check mark in the Landscape button.

Under Resizing Options Size, click on the drop down arrow to extend and select Custom.
In the Custom Name box, enter example: Custom Envelope 7.25” x 5.25”.

This Custom Paper Size box is confusing because the description 'Width' should be the Height of the envelope and the description 'Length' should be the Width of the envelope.

In the Width box: Enter the same Height of the envelope you have entered into LibreOffice Format Settings.
In the Length box: Enter the same Width of the envelope you have entered into LibreOffice Format Settings.

Make sure the Units button is checked for Inches and click on the Save button.

Click OK to save the Custom settings and close the Printer Feature Tab.

On the Printer Setup box, click on the Properties button.

Under Resizing Options Size, click on the drop down arrow to extend and select More instead of Custom. Your Custom Envelopes are now included in the selections.

Select your Custom Envelope, confirm the orientation is Landscape and print Quality is set to Best.

Click OK to save the Custom settings and close the Printer Feature Tab.

Click OK to save and close the Printer setup box.
You get the message 'The page size and orientation have been modified. Would you like to save the new settings in the active document? Answer 'NO'. If you answer 'Yes' your margin settings get changed.

Click File and save your Custom Envelope.

Print on Letter size paper to test the envelope set up. Good Luck!
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 8.1, 64-bit
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

Thanks for your help.

There is no Resizing Options showing up on my Deskjet printer options.

It printed out as if the envelope was entering from the middle of the tray.
On my printer the envelope feeds from the right side of the tray.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
Etaner

Post by Etaner »

Do you have an option to create a custom size envelope on your Deskjet printer?
If you don't have this option, I am sorry! I have no solution anymore.

Without creating the custom size, my envelope printed out just like yours, as if the
envelope was entering from the middle of the tray. On my printer the envelope feeds
also from the right side of the tray.
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 8.1, 64-bit
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

Deskjet does not have the Custom options.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
Etaner

Post by Etaner »

I just remembered, I have a free envelope printing software from kurlo.com.
Kurlo version 1.3 is the last updated software in 2006, created by Retired Software Inc.
You can also download this free software from:
http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?que ... o&tag=srch
It still works on my Windows 7, 64-bit. It is also portable for USB flash drives.
You can create customized envelopes and print them with this program.
It requires the java runtime environment, that you have most likely already installed to use
with OpenOffice. I would give it a try. Hope this takes care of your problem. Good Luck!
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 8.1, 64-bit
au79

Post by au79 »

Etaner wrote:I use LibreOffice 3.4.5 to make custom envelopes. Try my instructions. Hope it works, good luck!

Thank you Etaner for this clever solution. It's a shame that this envelope issue has not been resolved.
OpenOffice 3.1 - Kubuntu Linux
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

There's now a LibreOffice 3.5.1. I'm beginning to think LibreOffice may out do OpenOffice someday.
LibreOffice 3.6.2

scarbelly

Post by scarbelly »

I'm glad I found this page. I've been trying for two weeks to print a custom sized envelope placed on the right, flap up on left side of envelope. No print even though I specify on the envelope 'printer' tab when inserting. Print appears on left of 8.5 x 11.00 paper. Using Deskjet. Cannot change 'Paper tray' setting from 'From printer settings' in Page Style - Page window. I now realize that this is a long standing problem and will either go back to WORD or try some other word processor.
OOO330m20 (Build:9567)
Mac OS X Version 10.6.7
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

It is a shame that they can fix this problem.

Here is a link to add your comments to this bug.

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=118831
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

scarbelly wrote:I'm glad I found this page. I've been trying for two weeks to print a custom sized envelope placed on the right, flap up on left side of envelope. No print even though I specify on the envelope 'printer' tab when inserting. Print appears on left of 8.5 x 11.00 paper. Using Deskjet. Cannot change 'Paper tray' setting from 'From printer settings' in Page Style - Page window. I now realize that this is a long standing problem and will either go back to WORD or try some other word processor.
The problem with envelope printing is fixed in Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) release candidate 1 (RC1) available at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... +Candidate

The official release should be out in the next week or two.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
jeffrey1

Re: [Issue] Printing 6.75 & 10 envelopes

Post by jeffrey1 »

That does not solve the problem for those of us who use LibreOffice.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

jeffrey1 wrote:That does not solve the problem for those of us who use LibreOffice.
Tough. Use the real thing instead of a clone.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

Well it took them over a year to update OO. Not bad.

But I must admit if this is fixed I might switch back.
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It has been more than an update - the entire code base has beeen revised to comply with Apache copyright requirements. The more exciting release, with improvements, will be v4.0.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jeffrey1

Post by jeffrey1 »

I did a clean install of OO 3.4.0 and the flap position is still not correct.
Attachments
OO .3.4.0 Env position.jpg
LO 3.5.4
MS Office XP
buzz76

Post by buzz76 »

I want to thank everyone for your comments, but I felt the need to clarify. This now works perfectly for me.

OpenOffice 3.4.0
HP Laserjet M475DN
Envelope #10 standard office envelope

I have had a number of printers over the years and have never truly fixed this problem with OO, even though Word worked perfectly. As most laser printers my printer grabs the envelope from the center of the bottom of the machine from either the paper tray or external tray feed. So naturally I would select the center envelope orientation. However, choosing the right envelope orientation arranges the envelope perfectly! I have included a picture showing what I used to select and what I now select. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Printer options. Use the right shifted one.
Printer options. Use the right shifted one.
Christopher
OpenOffice 3.4.0
Windows 7 64
jallan32

Post by jallan32 »

Closed for me, anyway. I changed printers for other reasons and disposed of the old one. The new one prints envelopes just fine.
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows 7