[Solved] Creating fillable pdf forms

Discuss the word processor
robi

[Solved] Creating fillable pdf forms

Post by robi »

Hi All,

I need to create several forms in pdf that can be filled out and sent back to me.

I have no idea what this is actually called or how to do it in OOO.

I know with Adobe it can be done but no Adobe on my ubuntu laptop

Thanks

Rob
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOo 2.3.X on Ubuntu 7.x + mac
Hagar Delest

Re: Creating fillable pdf forms

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can install Acrobat reader on Ubuntu (I did). But you can't save filled in forms with the standard version of Acrobat Reader.
As a workaround, you can fill it in and then print it as PDF again with a virtual printer (like PDFCreator).
So first make the form with Writer and the forms toolbars, then export it to PDF and make users fill it in and print it with a virtual printer.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
robi

Post by robi »

Thanks Hagar.

Will they be able to open it and use the file on their WIN machines?

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to make the actual form....

Robi
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Will they be able to open it and use the file on their WIN machines?
That depends on their ability to install and understand a virtual pdf printer.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robi

Post by robi »

well, I could create a basic form but I cannot save it once it is filled in.... is there a way around this?

See, I want to be able to have many, many, many forms filled in and the data saved... I suppose it is not pdf forms that I really need so if you can point me to sg more appropriate I would appreciate it.

thanks

robi
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

robi wrote:well, I could create a basic form but I cannot save it once it is filled in.
That's exactly what I told you.
Once the form has been filled in, print it to a virtual printer like PDFCreator (there are other possibilities, google for more hints). Print the form to another PDF file. This time the fields will contain what you've put.

The only drawback is that the form has to be filled at once. You can't save it not completed to resume later.
robi

Post by robi »

Sorry, I meant to say I was able to create a pdf, just like you said. Thanks for the tips...

I think part of my problem is terminology. I do not actually know what virtual printer/printing means. I will google it.

robi
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

A virtual printer is an application that produces a PDF. There are several possibilities like PDFCreator. It behaves like a printer but saves a file instead.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is what I tried:
Created a form in Writer using the form control tool bar [attached PDF_Form.odt]
Exported as pdf. menu:File>Export with PDF form option checked [the attached PDF_Form.pdf]
Opened the pdf with my tiny pdf viewer "Evince" of my Linux distribution.
Filled out the form.
Saved a copy (Evince menu:File>Save As) [attached PDF_Form2.pdf]

As you can see in the second pdf file the filled out form has been stored.
My tiny pdf viewer seems to be too simple for the full functionality. It does not support the option buttons. The calendar control and the numeric field behave like ordinary text boxes. The list box and the multi-line text box work as expected.
Attachments
PDF_Form2.pdf
pdf form filled in a simple pdf viewer
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
PDF_Form.pdf
pdf version
(21.94 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
PDF_Form.odt
Writer form
(14.04 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robi

Post by robi »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:A virtual printer is an application that produces a PDF. There are several possibilities like PDFCreator. It behaves like a printer but saves a file instead.

I just did this

sudo aptitude install cups-pdf

and now it works... thanks!

Robi
aqualung
Volunteer

Post by aqualung »

Villeroy wrote:My tiny pdf viewer seems to be too simple for the full functionality. It does not support the option buttons.
My huge bloatware Adobe Reader 10.1.0 cannot handle everything, either. It supports
  • single line text input field
    multi line text input field
    radio buttons
    list box (but you have to click on it and then respond to a warning dialog first and then the un-selected (un-highlighted) options still show)
and does not support
  • calendar field
    number field (but you can still enter ordinary text in both).
Also, the yellow grid dots on the purple background disappear, leaving only the purple background.

Conclusion: The forms feature in OOo is best used to produce .odt files only, for processing in OOo only. This will ensure fidelity but limit circulation to recipients with OOo installed already. For wider circulation, to people with Adobe Reader (or equivalent) but not OOo, careful advance testing is required to ensure that forms work as intended for everyone.
OOo 3.3.0, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, planning to add LibreOffice after a bug-fix version of 3.4 is released.
Has your question been answered? Please go back to the message at the top of the thread and mark it as [SOLVED].