[Solved partially] Full-Page Background

Discuss the word processor
Jackelope King

[Solved partially] Full-Page Background

Post by Jackelope King »

I am attempting to use OpenOffice 2.3.1 Writer on Windows XP Professional (SP 2) to assemble a .pdf file for which I'd like to insert a full-page background. However, the only option Writer seems to provide is a background option that fills the margins of the document (Format > Page... > Background Tab > As: Graphic).

The question itself: Is there a way to set different margins for text throughout the document than a background image, or another way that I can insert an image across an entire document as a background image that encompasses the whole 8.5 x 11 page?
Last edited by Jackelope King on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keme
Volunteer

Re: Full-Page Background

Post by keme »

You can set page margins to zero, then use paragraph margins and header/footer to emulate page margins for textual content.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Jackelope King

Re: Full-Page Background

Post by Jackelope King »

I've actually tried that, but have had problems keeping this straight with paragraph indents and more than a single column.

However, toying around with it again, I think I found a decent stop-gap solution:

1. Setting the header and footer actually works fantastically.

2. To approximate left-right margins, you can insert a border with (Format > Page > Borders Tab), selecting a border on the left and right sides of the document. Under "Spacing to Contents", de-select "Synchronize" and set equal margins on either side for left and right. If you set the border to 0.5 point white, it should be basically invisible for most documents (though you can also try to match it to whatever sort of background you're using).
acknak

Re: [Partial Solution] Full-Page Background

Post by acknak »

Or give the page a border of the same color as the background and set "spacing to contents" to emulate the page margins.

This is a workaround for something that OOo should be able to do (i.e. a real full-page background), but at least it's only a single setting, not something you have to worry about for every element of the document.

I'd love to know what the thinking was that the page background should only cover the area within the page margins.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

acknak wrote:I'd love to know what the thinking was that the page background should only cover the area within the page margins.
Perhaps it was designed when most printers couldn't print all the way to edges (they needed a half-inch or so for the paper-feed rollers) and it just hasn't been high enough priority to change.

Actually, I think it's not a good idea to put a fill-page background in a document, especially if you intend to share or distribute it. What if users want to print it? They might quickly end up with empty ink tanks, especially on inkjet printers.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
LAS0

Post by LAS0 »

I have another solution ;-)

Simply: Insert > Image > From File... After placing image, fit it to the whole page, right click on it and choose Wrap > In Background.
Just two notes:
1. This background will appears only on one page (but this is what I would like to have). If you need it on all pages, just repeat this procedure :-)
2. I have some problems to get in to the text area after this to write text, but finally I am in (you need to click out ofa page)... Keep trying ;-)
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

LAS0 wrote:1. This background will appears only on one page (but this is what I would like to have). If you need it on all pages, just repeat this procedure :-)
Just create a page style then. The whole point of styles is to make your life easier. ;)
LAS0 wrote:2. I have some problems to get in to the text area after this to write text, but finally I am in (you need to click out ofa page)... Keep trying ;-)
This is well documented and has been a problem for a while. It will be mostly solved in version 3.0.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
LAS0

Post by LAS0 »

LAS0 wrote: 2. I have some problems to get in to the text area after this to write text, but finally I am in (you need to click out ofa page)... Keep trying ;-)
After some tries I have found out, that the click out of a page is working if the image do not overlap page. The size and position are very important – I have decided to leave very small margin (0,1 mm) between image and page edge, e.g. for A4 paper size (210x297 mm) I have placed background image of size 209,8x296,8 mm to the centre of the page. ;-)
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP