ASCII filter

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
RoryOF

Re: ASCII filter

Post by RoryOF »

If you are trying to open mainly XML type files you are using the incorrect tool. Search for a dedicated XML viewer or editor. If you want to write letters, a thesis, a book, then OpenOffice might be the tool for you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

I have to second RoryOF's suggestion. OOo is just not a good tool for working with text files.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

Zizi64 wrote:
I will simple get Office 2010 from the internet

(for free?)
Interesting conclusion. Why not the OxygenOffice you get from the Internet, and try it?
Thanks, I will be testing it. Uninstalled OO 3.2, installed OOo 3.1.
Now please, help me with one thing: how do I change and save the default template?

How do I stop it from changing to overwrite correcting...?

Thanks..
OPen Office 3.2 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I not suggested OOo3.1, but I suggested OxygenOffice3.x.x (I'm using 3.1.1 version.):

http://ftp.devall.hu/kami/oxygenoffice/3.1.1.25/
http://ftp.devall.hu/kami/320win/
http://ftp.devall.hu/kami/321/

Now please, help me with one thing: how do I change and save the default template?
How do I stop it from changing to overwrite correcting...?
Please, read it:
One issue per thread
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... t=166#p718
and
Try a search first
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... t=166#p713
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Default template instructions were posted earlier.

To change from overwrite to insert or contrariwise, press the Insert key on keyboard, or on bottom line (status) of OOo window, click in 4th box from left, where it will say INSERT or OVER and it will change mode. If that line, which gives page count and total pages on left, is not showing, you may need to check View / Status Bar to enable its display.
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

Zizi64 wrote:I not suggested OOo3.1, but I suggested OxygenOffice3.x.x (I'm using 3.1.1 version.):
So am I :-)

The default template settings on Oxygen are different, I checked that version..

And, what is the insert key?

And it is the same issue. All I still want is the pop up to disappear.
If I understand it correctly, then OpenOffice and OxygenOffice are basically identical? Oxygen has a few more features, yet Office insists on to remain on the market? May I ask why they do not simpy combine?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The Insert key is a key on a standard keyboard labelled Insert, on the little island of keys between the main QWERTY keypad and the Numeric keypad.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If I understand it correctly, then OpenOffice and OxygenOffice are basically identical?
Answer: Yes, but No... The OpenOffice have more than one DISTRIBUTIONs. Those different distributions based on different source code. The OxygenOffice based on source code of Go-OO Distribution. (Therefore, there are some differences, such as: 'General' OOo Calc have 65,535 rows, but OxygenOffice Calc have approximately 1,000,000 rows, etc.)
Oxygen has a few more features,
Answer: Yes it is true. (Extensions, templates, language tools, etc.)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

RoryOF wrote:The Insert key is a key on a standard keyboard labelled Insert, on the little island of keys between the main QWERTY keypad and the Numeric keypad.
Thank you, everything is in japanese here....
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

Zizi64 wrote:
If I understand it correctly, then OpenOffice and OxygenOffice are basically identical?
Answer: Yes, but No... The OpenOffice have more than one DISTRIBUTIONs. Those different distributions based on different source code. The OxygenOffice based on source code of Go-OO Distribution. (Therefore, there are some differences, such as: 'General' OOo Calc have 65,535 rows, but OxygenOffice Calc have approximately 1,000,000 rows, etc.)
Oxygen has a few more features,
Answer: Yes it is true. (Extensions, templates, language tools, etc.)
So, basically I am correct, that there is no longer any need for OpenOffice? It is actually a nuisance, as I have now lerand by experience. If there was only Oxygen, then all my problems would have never happened?

Well, whatever. How do I save a template as default? All I want to do is change the font to palatino...
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

[Tutorial] Creating a new default template:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =71&t=1161
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If there was only Oxygen, then all my problems would have never happened?
If there was only OxygenOffice, then that one (pupup) problem maybe would have never happened.

You must try which version you needed, or which distribution you will have the appropriate.
The members (volunteers, or moderators, or other users) of this community are not developers. We here at the forum are users same as you. We not tried all of OOo versions. We not tried all of OOo distributions. We do not have on our computers all types of operating systems, on which to run OOo.

This is an opensource Office Application, for free. No Official Support.
First case: You are the support.
Other case: the forum members are the support, and all of the related informations on the Internet are the support.

If you need official support, you must buy a commercial Office Suite, for example:
MSOffice or
StarOffice. http://www.staroffice.org/support.html
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

Zizi64 wrote:[Tutorial] Creating a new default template:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =71&t=1161
Thank you once more, this time it worked, I must made a mistake at the first attempt.. :D
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

Zizi64 wrote:
If there was only Oxygen, then all my problems would have never happened?
If there was only OxygenOffice, then that one (pupup) problem maybe would have never happened.

You must try which version you needed, or which distribution you will have the appropriate.
The members (volunteers, or moderators, or other users) of this community are not developers. We here at the forum are users same as you. We not tried all of OOo versions. We not tried all of OOo distributions. We do not have on our computers all types of operating systems, on which to run OOo.
This is an opensource Office Application, for free. No Official Support.
First case: You are the support.
Other case: the forum members are the support, and all of the related informations on the Internet are the support.
If you need official support, you must buy a commercial Office Suite, for example:
MSOffice or
StarOffice. http://www.staroffice.org/support.html
I agree that sometimes I do not appreciate all those open source freebies enough, that maybe rude, sorry.
But you see, when I want to exchange something Microsoft against something open-source, I also want it to do whatever it was, that the MS equivalent did. It is simply not worth wasting such an enormous amount of time to get around a simple thing like a pop up, because the developers did not add a simple question in that pop up, like: "Do you want OO to save this setting?".
I did use Linux Suse several years ago, but it was simply too much effort to figure out how to add a simple application, each time I wanted to add another one, after a month, or two.... So I changed back to Windows.

As far as my pop up problem went, your suggestion I should buy a commercial Office Suite, just to get rid of something as ridiculous as an unnecessary pop up, that is a bit too wild... I did a little of reading about Open Office and why Oxygen Office came into existence in the first place, and it confirmed all my collected opinions about open source software.
Right now, I will try Oxygen, so far so good, if the pop up stays away... perfect! If not, I can always re-install MS Office.

Thank you all for your help and support.... I appreciate your trying to help
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

As I just had to realize that Oxygen also presents me with that same idiotic pop up.
I will get myself some Microsoft Office 2010 from the internet..... it is easy.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

johngrey wrote:As I just had to realize that Oxygen also presents me with that same idiotic pop up.
I will get myself some Microsoft Office 2010 from the internet..... it is easy.
I just use Firefox or Internet Explorer.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Why not just get an XML editor and do it the easy way? I think this topic has been beaten to death by trying to use the wrong tool.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

+99!
johngrey

Post by johngrey »

thomasjk wrote:Why not just get an XML editor and do it the easy way? I think this topic has been beaten to death by trying to use the wrong tool.
THat isprecisly my point... I get Open Office, then I need foxit reader, then I get Oxygen Office, and now you are suggesting I find out what the hell an XML reader is and then get one.

I do have a real life, I simply want to use a computer it is not the center of my life...
Now I re-installed MS Office and EVERYTHING works fine, right away, at no extra cost....
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

While having MS Office, _you_ made the decision to try OpenOffice etc. For you, it was perhaps a wrong decision. For many of us, OpenOffice is the correct choice.

"De gustibus non est disputandum" as the old tag has it.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Thank God. Now we can discuss things that are important. :D
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2