'Shift' pop-up

Discuss the word processor
melauto

'Shift' pop-up

Post by melauto »

is it normal for the pop-up icon for Shift to remain visible for up to 10 seconds, making the keyboard unresponsive all that time? Is there a way to shorten the duration or even cancelling the pop-up?
OpenOffice 3.2 on windows 7 home premium
Hagar Delest

Re: 'Shift' pop-up

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by "Shift pop up icon"?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'm guessing that what is referred to here is a function of Windows 7. When the caps lock key is turned on or off a rectangular box appears in the lower right part of the screen advising the user that caps lock has been turned on or off. This happens no matter what program is loaded. The person who wrote the question is using Windows 7 home premium. I have Windows 7 professional (normal, 32-bit). The pop-up only lasts 3-4 seconds on my computer and does not seem to cause the problem referred to. I suspect that the culprit is Windows 7 and the particular configuration of the computer.
LibreOffice 3.5 on Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I don't see any such pop-up in OOo or any other program. He probably has Sticky Keys turned on. Go to Control Panel--->Ease of Access Center--->Make Keyboard easier to use and uncheck Sticky Keys or any other setting that you don't need or use.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
melauto

Post by melauto »

Jon is spot-on about my problem, but the pop-up in my PC last 10 seconds and all that time the keyboard is unresponsive. The Sticky Key box has been unchecked all the while. Also, the Writer program is slowing down, and hangs more and more frequently. Is this a compatibility issue with Windows 7? And what can be done to overcome the problem? thanks.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you use the quickstarter, you can try to switch it off (OOo icon in system tray). Make sure that in the task manager, there is no soffice.bin running when OOo is closed.

Do you often reboot your machine?

Does your pop up problem occur only in Writer or also with non OOo applications?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I'm have been for several months running Windows 7 Home Premium and I don't think that this is a compatibility issue. I'd suggest this link to review and disable Ease of Access keys http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... p-dialogs/.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
melauto

Post by melauto »

I shut down my PC several times a day.

the pop-up occurs in every application but only started to stay on for 10 seconds after I started using OpenOffice 3.2 and after deleting Windows Office.

thomasjk - thanks for the link. Tried it, and unchecked all necessary, but problems persists.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Possibly editing the following key in the Registry will help:
HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify\BalloonTip

If you don't know how to edit the Registry, then _don't do it_!!!

There may also be a Tweak utility for Windows 7 that will do the same job. I don't know if there is, as I have never used Win 7.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Are you running a wireless keyboard? I've done some Google searches and the the only thing that comes up is a bluetooth app associated with keyboards. See http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/57964 ... opups.html.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
melauto

Post by melauto »

Yes, a wireless keyboard and mouse, but had to switch to optical mouse because cursor kept freezing.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

The application that runs your wireless keyboard is probably still running. Try the link I posted just above.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2