Numbering Style Level depends on Outline Level of Para Style

Discuss the word processor
pinchorrero

Numbering Style Level depends on Outline Level of Para Style

Post by pinchorrero »

Hi

I apply a paragraph style to a paragraph. Then I assign an outline level and a numbering style (=list style) to this Paragraph Style (via "Outline & Numbering" of the Paragraph Style, *not* via Tools->Outline Numbering). Now this list style is applied to the paragraph. The level within the list style of this paragraph corresponds with the outline level ("Outline & Numbering" of the Paragraph Style) assigned to the paragraph style.

But: If apply a paragraph style to a paragraph *after* assigning the outline level and the numbering style to this paragraph style, the level within List Style does not correspond with the outline level assigned to the paragraph style (it is always level 1), so I have to assign the correct level of the numbering by hand.

Is it possible to force OpenOffice to assign the desired numbering level to the paragraphs automatically or do I have to wait with the assigning of the outline level and the numbering style to the paragraph style until I have applied the paragraph style to all paragraphs respectively assign the correct numbering level by hand?

Thanks a lot!

(sorry for my Englisch…)
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP Professional
pinchorrero

Re: Level in Numbering Style depending on Outline Lev of Par Sty

Post by pinchorrero »

No one?
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP Professional
acknak

Re: Numbering Style Level depends on Outline Level of Para Style

Post by acknak »

But: If apply a paragraph style to a paragraph *after* assigning the outline level and the numbering style to this paragraph style, the level within List Style does not correspond with the outline level assigned to the paragraph style (it is always level 1), so I have to assign the correct level of the numbering by hand.
Sorry, but I do not see this happening. If I set the outline level and the numbering style as direct formatting on the paragraph, and then apply a paragraph style that contains different settings, the applied style replaces the direct settings I made before.

Can you attach a sample document that shows the problem?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

pinchorrero wrote:Is it possible to force OpenOffice to assign the desired numbering level to the paragraphs automatically...
As far as I know, this is only possible for paragraph styles which are assigned to outline levels using Tools > Outline Numbering. For those paragraph styles, the numbering level is tied to the outline level. For other paragraph styles assigned to outline levels using Outline & Numbering, the numbering level is independent of the outline level and the numbering level has to be set manually.
clydio

Post by clydio »

You might have assigned "numbering" or "bullets" to paragraphs instead.

"Outline Numbering..." is very powerful and it makes management of long document so much easier once you have it set up, which however could take some time and efforts.
OpenOffice 3.1