[Solved] Different OpenOffice programs under same icon

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Centi

[Solved] Different OpenOffice programs under same icon

Post by Centi »

After installing OpenOffice 3.1, the first program I opened was Calc. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, and the icon appeared normally on the taskbar. However, when I later tried to open Writer, that also had the Calc icon. Any other OpenOffice programs also open under the same icon, and are categorised together, as you can see from this picture:
openoffice.png
From the picture, you can also see that I have pinned Writer to the taskbar, but if I click it, it comes up with a separate Calc icon.
I don't know if that's what it's supposed to do, but is there any way to get each OpenOffice program to open with their own separate icons? That is, all Writer documents under one icon, Calc documents under another, etc.
Thank you!

(Also, I apologise for the formal language - I suppose new forums make me nervous, haha)
Last edited by Centi on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Different OpenOffice programs under same icon on taskbar

Post by thomasjk »

What you are seeing is the way Windows 7 works. Nothing that OOo can control.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Centi

Post by Centi »

Thanks for replying! I assumed that was the case.
Is there any way to "reset" the icon, though? The program I use the most is Writer, so I would like for that icon to appear instead. Would this be possible if I reinstalled OpenOffice?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Click Start-->All Programs--->Openoffice.org. Right Click on Openoffice.org Writer and select Pin to Taskbar.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Centi

Post by Centi »

I did that, but it still opens under a new icon (Calc), as seen on the picture.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

That appears to be the behavior under Win 7.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This appears to be a compatibility problem between OOo and the Windows 7 taskbar. No other application I've used on Windows 7 has its jump list and thumbnail separated on two different icons. While the jump lists appear with the correct module's icon pinned to the taskbar, the thumbnails for all modules appear with one icon, and that icon is determined by which document is opened first and how it is opened.

The only way I've been able to get the thumbnails to appear with a specific pinned OOo icon is to close all open OOo documents, close the Quickstarter, then click the pinned icon to open a new document. In that case, the thumbnail becomes attached to the pinned icon, and the thumbnails for OOo documents opened after that also appear with that icon. No new icon appears on the taskbar. If the first document opened is an existing document or a new OOo document opened in any other way, a new icon will probably appear on the taskbar and the thumbnails will appear with that new icon.
Centi

Post by Centi »

Closing the Quickstarter seems to have solved it. Thank you very much!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7