[Issue] Simple Invoice Form Requestx

Creating and using forms
MichaelB

[Issue] Simple Invoice Form Requestx

Post by MichaelB »

I've been using Writer and Calc for a couple of years now but I have only just started using Base. I have used other databases in the past - Firebird, Paradox, Rbase (anyone remember that?) - so while I am rusty I am not entirely unfamiliar with designing a database. Getting everything to operate as desired is another matter and I am not very familiar with the FORMS module. Does any one know of a simple BASE app/tutorial or could someone throw one together that would meet the following very simple requirements just so I can get my head around how to put things together myself - not so much the tables but the form.

Tables
Customers - stores customer name and address - don't worry about phone, email etc
Products - stores product SKU, description, and price - don't worry about supplier etc
Invoices - stores invoice header info, namely, invoice number, date, customer name and address (* see below)
InvoiceDetails - stores product SKU, product description, product price

Obviously there are other fields that belong in these tables (eg, such as a LineID or ItemID in the InvoiceDetails table) but I just want to outline the essentials without complicating the description.

Forms
Invoices - which
  • automatically generates an invoice number,
  • allows you to select the customer from a drop down and populates customer name and address fields,
  • has a subform that is laid out as a table or grid where you can select the product sku in a drop down field in the column and have it populate the product description and price fields for that product in that row
Reports
Just one to print the invoice.

If it can be done without macros that would be the preferred solution but if macros are necessary so be it.

As I said, this is not intended to be a production system but to help learn some of the basics. As a former tech writer, if someone can produce such a barebones invoice system, I am happy to write a How To on it and flesh it out to make it easier for others who may be going through the same learning curve as I am.

Thanks in advance.

* Edit to explain why I am storing Customer name and address in invoice header table. It's because customers may change address and even names so storing it in this table means I can view the invoice as it was when it was created. Handy if the customer calls and wants a reprint of an invoice that the lost in a move.
Last edited by Villeroy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Open Office 3.2.0 OOO320m12 (Build:9483) on Vista Home Premium
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Simple Invoice Form Request

Post by r4zoli »

Brian's book dealer database is a good starting point for you.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Thanks r4zoli. I'll check it out.

Cheers
Michael
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You may also check the attached set up with one database to be regiestered as "Invoices" (Tools>Options...Base>Databases...).

The user interface is a spreadsheet with an input form where you enter one new invoice with many products, a printable output sheet where you refresh an import range to get the latest invoice and one search form to search for past invoices by client and/or date range.
I hacked this together very quickly. It may be faulty and incomplete. Certainly it looks very ugly. Normally you would use embedded forms in the database and professional reports as invoices. The database has an additional form to enter products. This is just a quick demo for pattern fields enforcing product keys like "X-12345-9"
Attachments
invoices.zip
Macro free invoicing with Base and Calc
(40.56 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Thanks Villeroy, I'll have a look at that also - especially as you indicate it doesn't use macros. I'm currently playing with the book dealer database and trying to get my head around all the "behind the scenes" stuff and coming to grips with macros which I have been able to avoid till now.

Cheers
Michael
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

BUREAUCRACY ALARM! :alarm:
The input form of the attached database solution will be "out of order" for approx. 3 months. I found an OOo bug which has been fixed today but won't make it into the not yet published 3.2. :knock:
Stick with 3.1.1 if you work with database forms where the "append only" flag is used.
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=108390
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice