Discuss the word processor
BobN

Full justification word spacing issues

Post by BobN »

Edit: Split from [Solved] Full justification word spacing issues
• because that topic is solved so you need your own:
• because that topic was for MaCOS and you use Windows,
• because your post concerns condensed spacing, and
• because you want people to focus on your problem.
If you had the same problem you could use the same solution. 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  

I did not read all of the replies but I just fixed a problem where the character spacing sometimes is set to condensed l apparently randomly, but it seems to happen when I' making a new paragraph with Number turned. I found this tread it sounded like what i just fixed so I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth (okay, with inflation it's 200 pennies. Maybe my problem and how I fixed it may help someone

The first time I saw it, i tried copying the text, pasting it to Notebook to remove most formatting, selecting the changed text and then pasting it back to the original document..

I usually managed to resolve it but I'm unsure what did it.

I was thinking that it had something to do with character spacing..

i just ran into and highlighted text, right clicked on it, selected Character. I found the "spacing" drop-down list and it was set to condensed. I selected default and that resolved the problem.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri May 10, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Created new topic, since the problem and solution appear to be different
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor Celeron CPU 900 @ 2.20GHZ 2.19
keme
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Full justification word spacing issues

Post by keme »

Just a thought:
I see that the output to workspace (edit pane) is sometimes imperfect. This seems to happen more frequently on MacOS than in Linux/Windows. Proper output (print, pdf export) appears to use more precise methods for character placement.

So, does the irregular spacing also show up when printing? (Probably no need to waste paper. Print preview should display the same as actual print.)
BobN

Re: [Solved] Full justification word spacing issues

Post by BobN »

I'm on windows. II don't think I've ever printed something when the problem was present. When reading what I have just typed or doing a full proofread, it jumps out at me. I don't think I ever noticed it and had printed the maternal so I can't give you a good answer about printing.

I expect it reoccur and I will try to remember to print it see what happens. I expect, however that it will show hen printed because the issue is that something is setting to condensed, it's not that the setting do not work correctly.

If I can reproduce the problem at will, who do I report it to?

It's not so much that the spacing setting is not working, the problem is the spacing dis getting set to condensed with no action on my part that I can discern as causing that. But, again I don't think I've seen it anywhere but the first part of a numbered paragraph in the material above where i insert a line with letting tit number it. Shift_Enter may be resting ti back to default - no evidence to say that is it but something I just realized about it.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
sveld

Re: Full justification word spacing issues

Post by sveld »

While the thread [Solved] Full justification word spacing issues is closed I recently found that some work is done for this in LibreOffice (to be releases in the 24.8 version) and the blog post of the Dev doing this works well descripes the issues at hand which are there in both OpenOffice and LIbreOffice and also in MS Office interop. Hope this helps someone running into these kind of issues.
Blog pots "Line break interoperability and state-of-the-art ISO OpenDocument/web typography in open source office suites", see
https://numbertext.org/typography/#__Re ... _360060882
LibreOffice 24.2.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud (Office)
BobN

Post by BobN »

I would have thought an forum administrator had more important that harassing posters.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

@BobN: This site is not merely a place where people ask questions and hopefully get a solution. It's also a place where people first search for topics about their question to find a solution. As long as solved topics are left alone, that works just fine. Unfortunately, many people search the forum, find a solved question and ask their somewhat similar but still different question in an extra post. Allowing that ad answering the new question in the solved thread will make the forum a less reliable place because, what question was really solved in a topic?
The forum moderators dislike locking topics and rely on people to act rationally.
All forum members are supposed to read the Survival Guide for the forum. Going by those rules helps you, because if you immediately give all the information that people need to answer your question, you will get an answer much sooner than when the information has to be dragged out of you, post by post. It also helps people searching the forum, who will find your separate topic about your specific problem sooner than by having to plow from a long thread about something else.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum