[Solved] Centered heading followed by 3 columns

Discuss the word processor
rkheadl

[Solved] Centered heading followed by 3 columns

Post by rkheadl »

I want to set up a document with a centered heading followed by text in 3 columns. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. No matter what I do (setting extra sections) I still get the entire document including the heading in 3 columns. How do I do this please?

Edit: Changed subject, was Document with 3 columns 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.5 and iMac OS 10.11.6
Hagar Delest

Re: Document with 3 columns

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please don't post in a topic that is not related to your question. I have split your post from the topic you had posted in.
And no need to multipost. I have deleted your other topic.

Have you inserted a section and configured this section with the Columns tab?
Better add blank paragraphs and then insert the section in the middle of them so that you are sure to have paragraph before and after.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The entire document will be three columns only if the page styles are all set to three columns. Set the page style to one column. Type the heading and center it. Press enter. Select Insert > Sections and set the section to three columns. You should then have the heading in one column above the section, one blank paragraph in a three column section and one blank paragraph in one column below the section.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
rkheadl

Post by rkheadl »

Thank you. I've tried this and the title which I've centered still appears at the head of the first column of the three. I can't seem to separate the portion above the section break which should be 1 column from the section below the section break which should be w columns.
Open Office 4.1.5 and iMac OS 10.11.6
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please upload a document here so that we see what is wrong with it (see How to attach a document here).

Are you sure that the page is not configured with 3 columns?
The page must be 1 column and then you add a section with 3 columns.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Centered heading followed by 3 columns

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached.
Attachments
3_Col_Sample.odt
(16.18 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

rkheadl wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 pm Thank you. I've tried this and the title which I've centered still appears at the head of the first column of the three. I can't seem to separate the portion above the section break which should be 1 column from the section below the section break which should be w columns.
From your description, you've included the title in the section. If you upload a sample document, the problem can probably be solved quickly. Otherwise, I'm guessing since it simply works for me.

"Section break" is a MS Word feature. If I recall correctly, section breaks are open-ended. Writer uses sections which have a set start and end.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Bill wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 pm
"Section break" is a MS Word feature. If I recall correctly, section breaks are open-ended. Writer uses sections which have a set start and end.
Writer Sections continue to expand to accommodate their content. One needs to terminate the entry of content and exit the Section. This one does by placing the cursor at the very end of the Section (Turn on /View /Nonprinting characters to help) and pressing Alt Enter; the cursor will then jump out of the Section to below the Section, inserting a new blank paragraph, and one can then do any other formatting required outside of the Section.

If one is using Columns in a Section, the cursor most be positioned as the last character in the last column.

A similar procedure applies if one wishes to enter text or format before a Section if there is no existing text before the Section; the cursor must be the first character in the Section, then press Alt Enter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS