[Dropped] OpenOffice accessing files/documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
loanmaker

[Dropped] OpenOffice accessing files/documents

Post by loanmaker »

Hi. I am an author and not very computer literate though I have used Open Office for a number of years for by book writing.

i have clearly given a command which has made accessing saved files and folders impossible and I am extremely annoyed because I can't seem to rectify the problem.

When I used to open a document I simply click on it and it opened. Now, when I click on a saved document I get a grey box titled C:\Users\Jackc\OneDrive\Documents\Oldstuff and within this box are all my files. If I click on one of these files I get another grey box titled C:\Users\Jackc\OneDrive\Documents.......and the name of the file clicked and within this box are a whole host of options of programs to open the file from BMP to XPM and regardless of which I select, the file will not open.

Is there a way to bypass this C:\Users etc and go back to simply opening a saved file?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated - this is five years work locked in this .

Jack
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Open Office accessing files/documents

Post by LastUnicorn »

Sounds like a Windows 10 'Open With' problem. Don't be so quick to assume that you must have given a command to cause this problem. I have occasionally had this kind of problem myself, usually after Microsoft has updated the system in some way.

To try and find a cure try this Tutorial: How to Choose Default Apps to Open Files with in Windows 10 Read the tutorial all the way through before trying to apply any of the solutions mentioned.

The program that you will want to associate your OpenOffice files with will be soffice.exe. On a default install of OpenOffice on a Windows system the location of that file is C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exe So, when you have to, you would have to drill Windows to that folder and choose/select soffice.exe

The only problem with the above might be that you are (seemingly) using 'OneDrive' I have no experience with that so can't advise on that possible complication.

Another possible (and quick) solution would be to just try reinstalling OpenOffice and, during its install routine, it should (in theory) set OpenOffice as being the default app to open OpenOffice files with.
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

P.S. If the above doesn't solve the issue can you post a screenshot of the 'grey box'.
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
loanmaker

Post by loanmaker »

The screen shot will not paste top this reply box.

I've followed you instructions and now can't open any saved file. When I click 'Open' I now get a different grey box C:\programs.....
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

[Forum] How to attach a document here tells you how to attach an image, or other file, here.
Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
---------------------
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Unexpected '{' on line 32