[Solved] OpenOffice "Save with Password" algorithm

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
rusofil

[Solved] OpenOffice "Save with Password" algorithm

Post by rusofil »

Hi

While it may be obvious to some, I didn't find an info I need. What kind of protection does OO use when I want to protect a document with a password? I need something that protects my files with AES256 and well, I'm not sure if it's safe to password protect OO files. Or is there a way to choose a type of cipher? When I navigate to "protect my file/spreadsheet etc." all I can see is a simple two field window where I can type my password and repeat it. How do I know what's being used to protect my file? I'd be grateful if anyone unclouded this issue to me.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 Win 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Open Office file protection

Post by MrProgrammer »

rusofil wrote:What kind of protection does OO use when I want to protect a document with a password?
If I save a file and specify Save with Password, the file's manifest contains:
<manifest:file-entry manifest:media-type="text/xml" manifest:full-path="content.xml" manifest:size="2515">
   <manifest:encryption-data manifest:checksum-type="SHA1/1K" manifest:checksum="WQI326oDGWSHcrWwh+7ejGzu+NE=">
      <manifest:algorithm manifest:algorithm-name="Blowfish CFB" manifest:initialisation-vector="jkVtDP9ziy8="/>
      <manifest:key-derivation manifest:key-derivation-name="PBKDF2" manifest:key-size="16"
                               manifest:iteration-count="1024" manifest:salt="035CTtYXgFf1X7B63TorRA=="/>
      <manifest:start-key-generation manifest:start-key-generation-name="SHA1" manifest:key-size="20"/>
   </manifest:encryption-data>
</manifest:file-entry>
https://www.schneier.com/academic/blowfish/

If this encryption doesn't meet your needs, encrypt the file with your own tool. This is a user-to-user forum. Developers don't visit here.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I don't know if the encryption section on this old page is still relevant. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... ease+Notes
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Be aware that the encryption used by OpenOffice is effectively unbreakable by the ordinary, or even the advanced User. A lost password will render the file irrecoverable under normal circumstances.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.