Win10 remove Smode loses AOO files

Talk about anything at all....
Extempus

Win10 remove Smode loses AOO files

Post by Extempus »

After struggling for a few weeks to use my new computer running on Windows 10S I removed the horrible S mode from my new computer. It also deleted all my Open Office doc files which I had written and saved. I have all files from my now defunct HP on a USB memory stick.

Is there any way to retrieve those docs? The new computer is an Acer Swift 1, which apart from this problem is brilliant.

As a matter of interest it also removed all record of saved passwords, but at least my gmail account is now usable, which it was not while Smode was running. That is a relatively minor problem because I have a record of them.
Open Office 4.1.7 OS Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Copy documents to new computer

Post by John_Ha »

Extempus wrote:... running on Windows 10S I removed the horrible S mode from my new computer. It also deleted all my Open Office doc files which I had written and saved.
No it did not.

It probably affected the File Association. Go Start > Settings > Apps & Features > Default apps. Give AOO all its defaults. Google for more help if necessary.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Extempus

Post by Extempus »

Thanks for guiding me so far. Before making my original post Writer was still functioning, and I was able to use Writer to produce and save a number of documents. Those documents are still in place, and I have modified one of them. Unfortunately, having followed your instructions to go through the default apps and choose every Open Office app, there is still no sign of the large number of docs which, before it died, were on my old computer.

Curiously, I found no Open Office files until I clicked on "Choose default applications by file type." As I scrolled through the default apps the page was endless, and repeated itself ad nauseum. Whenever I clicked on an OpenOffice file I chose the Open Office App and ignored the option of looking for an app in the Microsoft store.

Any further help would be appreciated.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Open Windows Navigator - the thing which lets you look for files.
2. Type *.od* in the Search box at top right.

You now have a list of all the .odt, .ods etc files on your PC with their locations. Repeat with *.doc, *.docx and *.rft if required.
Clipboard05.gif
Also see [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats. In W10 go Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type. Find .odt and associate it with AOO. Repeat for .doc, .docx, .rtf, .ods, .odp. .odg.

You should be able to go Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Set defaults by app..., and give AOO all its defaults but d*mn Microsoft does not show LO (nor presumably AOO) as an installed app.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Extempus

Post by Extempus »

Thank you for persevering with me. :super: In Navigator I found a grand total of 4 ODT files and they all recent ones written and saved after the fateful day when I removed S Mode from my new computer.

I think I will have to just console myself with the knowledge that I have on a USB stick all my ODT files that I had saved prior to that day. Three of the ones that I composed a day or two before are missing because although they were saved in AOO I did not save them on the USB.

Thank you again. I am already well on the way to completing a re-write of the most important missing doc.

Perhaps posting my problem might help alert others to the hazards of removing S Mode. I have discovered that a large number of people hate S Mode and they might be driven to ditch it. My biggest problem was that it wreaked havoc with my gmail account, making it almost unusable.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You might want to giving the resources listed under How to Find and un-delete temporary AOO files a try... especially the references to Recuva or PhotoRec.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Were the documents in question actually transferred to the new computer?
Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
---------------------
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Unexpected '{' on line 32
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Extempus wrote:In Navigator I found a grand total of 4 ODT files...
What is this "Navigator"? The Navigator in OpenOffice does not find files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Extempus

Post by Extempus »

robleyd wrote:Were the documents in question actually transferred to the new computer?
Yes, I had transferred them all to my new computer using a USB and they were all there until I deleted S Mode.
Extempus

Post by Extempus »

Bill wrote:
Extempus wrote:In Navigator I found a grand total of 4 ODT files...
What is this "Navigator"? The Navigator in OpenOffice does not find files.
It is Windows Navigator, and was part of the recommendation by John_Ha
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If deletion of S mode Windows means you installed a different or earlier version of Windows, then your files may be lost, overwritten in the install process.

I have no knowledge of the difference between S mode and ordinary Windows, but installation of something as large as an operating system will often take much space, perhaps even requiring reformatting a hard disk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Win10 remove Smode loses AOO files

Post by John_Ha »

Much as I criticise Microsoft for outrageous incompetence I very much doubt that removing S mode deleted your AOO files. If it had it would have deleted other user files like photos etc.

I can see how it looks like it was switching off S Mode which lost the files but I cannot believe that is what happened. You need to look elsewhere for the problem.

See Switching out of S mode in Windows 10 which says S Mode is an "enhanced security" mode which only allows you to install programs obtained from the Microsoft Store.

Hence I cannot see how switching it off can have any effect on user data. Searching the web finds no user reports of data loss after switching it off.

From you first post it appears that
- you wrote some new documents on your new PC
- You then switched off S Mode
- Now you cannot find all of the new documents you wrote - you can only find four of them. You need help to find the others.
- You have no problem with documents from the old PC which you brought over on the USB stick.

1. Is this correct?

2. Assume a "lost document" contains the word zebra. Type zebra into the search box you used earlier - Windows will find all documents with the word zebra inside them or with zebra in the file name.
Extempus wrote:In Navigator I found a grand total of 4 ODT files and they all recent ones written and saved after the fateful day when I removed S Mode from my new computer.
3. Did you search for .doc and .rtf files too?

4. Do a search for *.* and sort in date order - do you find anything?

5. What does File > Recent documents ..., show in the list?
Extempus wrote:it also removed all record of saved passwords
6. Where where the passwords stored? In a Password Manager? or in a text document?

7. Look in the Recycle bin.