Writer HTML Search Box

Discuss the word processor
keymaster257

Writer HTML Search Box

Post by keymaster257 »

I am going to try this again. Apparently, my last attempt at this was not clear enough. I am using OpenOffice Writer to create HTML documents. Those HTML documents are going to be viewed as a webpage (opened by Chrome browser on my computer). I select new, HTML document. When you save it, and open the document, it will open in your browser if that is the default program to open HTML documents.

That said, I have created hyperlinked pages. I am a locksmith, and I have created a pricing webpage system for my employees. You open the main page, it brings you to a list of automotive manufacturers. Click on the desired manufacturer, and it will take you to another page listing all of the models by that manufacturer. Select the model you want by clicking a hyperlink, and it will take you to yet another page listing each part number based on year. From there, there are hyperlinks that will take you based on part number and supplier to the supplier's webpage so you can directly order the corresponding part.

Now that I have laid the groundwork of how my system is being set up, I can get into my question. I want to set up on the main page with all the manufacturers a search box so that I can type in a part number and it will take me directly to the corresponding page in my intranet (collection of the HTML documents I have created for this purpose). Is that possible or am I out of luck? Again, this is set up with OpenOffice Writer V. 4.1.15.
OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Windows 11
robleyd

Re: Writer HTML Search Box

Post by robleyd »

Is that possible or am I out of luck
It is not possible with plain HTML. I read from your question that there will be several users, on several computers(?) trying to access this information, possibly simultaneously? To get the result you are looking for, you would need to be running a web server on your local network, with a database, some sort of scripting language (PHP, Perl, Python) and a local application written in the scripting language to allow adding data to the database and interrogating it. This solution is unrelated to OpenOffice

Alternatively, you set up a shared database server using Base to add and query information from several computers; this is a possible OpenOffice solution.

Just as a side note, Writer creates terrible HTML; there are dedicated HTML editors that are to be preferred. Right tool for the job and so forth.
Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
---------------------
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Unexpected '{' on line 32
keymaster257

Re: Writer HTML Search Box

Post by keymaster257 »

Thank you for the info!
OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Windows 11